Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Pain on side of Left Breast

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Pain on side of Left Breast

Hi, I have had pain on the side of my left breast for a few weeks now.  My chiropractor has told me pain in the breast can radiate from the back.  The pain is under my arm as well.  I went to see my GP and she gave me a thorough breast exam.  All looked OK and she was not worried but did say that she felt thickening on the side where I have the breast pain.  She didnt think there was anything to worry about, but has sent me for a Mammogram just to check things out.  I am 40 and have no history of breast cancer in the family.  Needless to say, I am a bit worried.  Do you think I have anything to worry about?
Dear Deni_b:  Without evaluation, it is impossible for us to speculate on the nature of the "thickening."  However, the general rule of thumb is that if there is a "lump" that can be felt further evaluation is required.  A mammogram may help the doctor to determine if this is just your anatomy or whether additional investigation is necessary.  Most breast cancer is not painful.
Hi.  Thanks for replying.  I am now, however, officially freaking out.  I had a mammography and ultrasound conducted today.  The radiographer called in the Dr to further evaluate a "nodule" which she thought was probably a "fatty nodule" or a fibroadenoma.  The Dr carefully examined and seemed to think that it was a fibroadenoma.  I have an appointment with my GP as they recommend follow up.  My question is, would they tell me not to worry, that it could just be a fibroadenoma if it wasnt?  I am, needless to say, having a big "freak out"!!
A fibrodenoma is a non cancerous tumor. I had one removed from each breast in 2003. Nothing to worry about. Recovery time is speedy.
A mamogram (mammogram) revealed a nodule in my left breast. Should I be worried?