Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Painful ribs
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Painful ribs

I had lumpectomy followed by chemo and radiation last year. The area over my rib cage on the affected side is tender when I stretch my arm and bend over owards the unaffected side. Do you think this is due to the intercostal muscles being affected by the radiation and/or surgery?
Thank you

Sue
Related Discussions
Dear Sue:  It is possible that you have a "pulled" muscle or that there is some damage from the radiation.  However, if you are having pain, the best thing to do is have it evaluated by your physician.
3 Comments
Blank
That's among the possibilities. It's really hard to evaluated a specific symptom on the internet. The best advice is to let your doctor and/or your surgeon about it and have an actual exam, possibly including rib xrays.
Blank
I had radiation in 1998 and again on the other side in 2003.  Both times I had the rib pain that you describe.  My mom had radiation in 2002 and also had the same type of pain.  The radiologist told me to expect it and that it is normal.  Just to be sure, though, I would ask your doctor about it.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...
Apr 16 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank