Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Positive biopsy, what next?

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Positive biopsy, what next?

Had positive biopsy from microcalcification, unsure nest step? Looking for some advice
Dear blondieny:  In general, the next step may include some type of surgery.  Your surgeon, knowing the particulars of the situation, will be best suited to discuss the options moving forward.  
I would think a consult with a surgeon (breast specialist if possible) would be the next logical step. Evidently a surgeon didn't do your biopsy; right ??
One more comment from me ..... my surgeon was also a Gen. Surgeon and although I had a choice of other locals who were specialists in dealing with breast surgery and he offered me the option of a 2nd and 3rd opinions I stayed with him. I have never regretted for a moment my choice ..... he went thru the entire procedure with me and even drew pictures on the exam table paper. As far as what to ask ..... I would listen first (take someone with you to catch the words you might miss) and then by all means ask whatever questions that pop into your mind. No matter how simple the question might be; if you don't know then ASK. Don't hesitate to voice any concern that you might have. You must understand that for physicians this is a daily occurance and probably many times every day but it's a "once in a lifetime" thing for you.
I guess what i meant is i have an appt with surgeon, what questions do i ask , this is more a general surgeon, he is linked with the breast care center, so he does it alot, im scared and not sure how to react, wondering if what everybodys next step after that positive result
My surgeon was also a general surgeon at a large cancer treatment facility. He treated/removed all types of cancer. The first thing I would do is send my samples to another hospital for a second opinion on them. Insurance should pay for several second opinions.  The American Cancer Society webb site has a great list of questions for your doctor there. Another place to get questions to ask is breastcancer.org. and their discussion board is great also. Lots of women there going through the same thing as us. And of course this site. You can use the search engine for some questions.

First, find out his credentials. How long he has been doing this?
Ask his recommendations as to what treatment he you need (though again I would get a second opinion).
How many clusters, lumps or mases?
Size?
Grade?
Stage?
Does it look like it could be in the lymph nodes? Though this is impossible to know without testing the sentiniel nodes. But he could maybe give you idea of the chances.
Is it possible to have spread?
Is it DCIS? Does it look invasive?
Ductual or lobular?
What type of test were used to determine all this?

Again 2nd opinions are very important. Though sometimes confusing. It will give you a chance to be active in your on treatment. I will keep you in my thoughts. Please return to let us know how you are doing.