Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Procedure of the Breast Biopsy???

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Procedure of the Breast Biopsy???

Hi all,

I am scheduled for a breast biopsy in about 2 weeks and I am quite nervous. The radiologist told me not to eat any vitamin E for 5 days b/c of bleeding. Can you explain how the biopsy is performed? Will it bleed a lot? Do they numb it? Can you get the whole lump removed through the core needle biopsy?

I am also breastfeeding so I am hoping they don't hit a duct. The ultrasound showed that it could be fibrodenoma but they dont' want to take a chance b/c I got a BIRAD 4 since they were suspicious about it. I hope I don't have breast cancer and that everything is okay.

Can someone enlighten me on how this procedure is done and will it be infected and bleed?

THANKS
Dear cally44:  There are different types of breast biopsy and the type is determined based on the abnormality and on the radiologists and/or surgeons opinions of the best way to get a representative sample.  In most cases, the breast will be numbed with a local anesthetic.  A core biopsy removes small samples of the abnormality through a needle.  An excisional biopsy removes the entire "lump" through a small incision.  Generally, biopsies are associated with minimal bleeding.  Infection is a small risk any time there is an invasive procedure.  You should discuss with your radiologist or surgeon when it is safe to resume breastfeeding after the biopsy.
I hope someone gets back to you soon. There are many women on this site with so much knowledge. I can tell you, in my experience, that yes, they did numb my breast. I hardly bled and no infection. I was also told not to take any aspirins due to bleeding. It wasn't that bad.
I'll let the experts get back to you. Just wanted to try and alleviate some of your fears, until they do. Keep us posted.
How are you doing?  I know that you must be getting very anxious for Wednesday....it will be over before you know it and we will do the Snoopy dance!  Keeping you in my prayers.  Susan
Susan, I cannot tell you how happy your message made me. I am scared! Not looking forward to this, again. On top of it, I have a cold. I know I really have nothing to complain about. So many women are going through such an awful time. Thank you for thinking of me and I really appreciate your prayers. More than I can say. Snoopy dance sounds real good....
You doing okay?
Lauren
I've had proceedures similar to the core needle biopsy and altho there was some bleeding, it was minimal. I also had to stop all vitamins and aspirin before the biopsy. That seems to be general proceedure, just as a precaution. With my 3 biopsies I never had a problem with bleeding after I went home. I was always numbed up well, so my only discomfort was laying still in one position, and that is bearable. I hope your proceedure goes well. These breast problems are scary, but remember most of them turn out benign.
So do most lumps that are benign sometimes hurt in the breast?  Is it best to remove a lump even though it is benign, b/c of the fear of it turning into something cancerous.  My lump is solid and it hurts if i press it real hard and they are not sure what it is...probable fibroadenoma but they want me to do this core needle biopsy just to make sure.  Is it best for reasons of not turning into cancer to remove a lump completely?

What are the signs of someone having breast cancer...does the AFP blood test detect any of that?  And if it is caught on early, do you have to go through radiation or do they just simply remove the breast?

My birad reading was 4 so I am very scared...and there is no breast cancer history in my family.

Hi Cally, It sounds like what I've had in the past, a fibroadenoma, which is just fibrous tissue and more than likely benign. If you're doing a stereotactic mammotome, they will take a tiny piece of it to confirm if it is indeed benign and if it has any irregular or atypical cells. I would get it removed just for piece of mind in the future. Also, I have always been told that if you feel pain it is a good sign that it's probably benign.
The signs of breast cancer can be nothing or a lump.  A mammogram is usually the first step.  Then perhaps an ultrasound or straight into a biopsy.  Bleeding after the biopsy is usually contained by a bandaid.  ICE ICE and more ICE will help after you get home.  You can use a pillow in bed to prop up your arm if you are a side sleeper.  Usually within 48 hrs you are feeling relatively normal.  My biopsy was done on a Fri and I played softball on Tue. without pain.  Remember most biopsies come back as benign.  But if yours does not we can help you thru the next step.  Most of us here are all cancer survivous in various stages.  My timeline was 7/14/06 Biopsy, 7/28/06 Lumpectomy, Radiation til Oct, Tamoxifen now.  Good luck are we are all pulling for you to NOT join our club!!
Biopsy is the only way to know for sure if a lump is cancerous or not. As to should you remove it or not? You'll get different answers from differrent people. For peace of mind and certainity that it is benign, it's better to remove it. However, removal can cause scar tissue which can make future mammograms more difficult to read. So some surgeons recommend keeping a close eye on it. You need to be comfortable with the decision and the reasoning behind the decision whichever way you go.
I am doing fine!  Getting ready for Christmas and trying not to sweat the small stuff.  We all need a reality check every now and then and that is all yours is too!    I know that today is the biopsy. Don't know what time it is at.....I am thinking of you and praying for you!  Let me know how things go today.
Susan
Susan
Susan
Biopsy is done. It, again, was not bad. Waiting for results and praying for all of the women. Thank you, again, for your thoughtful message.
Lauren
Glad to hear your biopsy went well. Do you know when you'll get the results. Praying for benign.
I should have my results by Monday. The radiologist said she removed the cluster. She was very nice and gentle. Very compassionate woman. I was lucky. Thanks for asking.
By having a biopsy you've done all you can for now, so try to enjoy your weekend as you wait for results.
You're right. I plan on eating all the foods I'm not supposed to.
If not now, when, right? Have a good weekend.
I hope that you are doing well hanging in there and hope your weekend wasn't too stressful.  Saying special prayers for you to have great news tomorrow!!!  Let us know!
Susan
Hi, Posted on a different thread. My results are good and I am so relieved. Have to get back to work. Just wanted to write and say thanks. Will be back on later.
Had to move to another thread.

viddie - I am happy for you.

I go today for my genetic testing. Please say a prayer for my girls that my cancer want turn out to be genetic. I would hate the thoughts that my three girls may have to go through this someday. I don't know how long it will take to get the results but I'll keep you posted.
OK is everyone shopping or what.

viddie - how are you feeling? What will be your next steps concerning the melignant areas? Do you have an appt for the final results yet? Thinking and hoping the best for you.

I do wish vermont girl, Barbra RN, noac and Dahrma would all check in. It worries me so when they just leave the site and don't let us know how they are. This is a very busy time of the year though and with the medical appts maybe they just don't have time.
    Third day after surgery and still a little sore- I will be removing my bandages today. I will see the surgeon on Wednesday and hopefully he will give me the results and the next step plan. I have an oncologist picked, but I need to  see my surgeon first.
    My friends have been very supportive. My best friend is a ovarian cancer survivor- 26 years. It came back 3 years ago, but they operated again and seem to have caught it in time. Needless to say, she has been unbelievable. Also, unfortunately, I know too many people (5) that have breast cancer- (unfortunately) because they have bc. They have been wonderful, extremely helpful and very supportive. It makes this thing so much easier to deal with.
   Getting ready to take my first real shower since Monday- washing in the sink isn't quite the same.
  My prayers are with you, Boninclyde, that the tests show that your cancer is not genetic. Laure, I am so glad your results are good. Thanks everyone for being so supportive and kind.
Just checking in.  I didn't post because I didn't have any news until last night.  This process is like being eaten alive by garden slugs, or watching paint dry...  Well, I finally have an appt. with a breast surgeon on Dec. 27th, at a great facility, where I am moving my care to, as my PCP is affiliated.  The appt. is to discuss what he is going to recommend, which I don't know at this point, but probably exc. biopsy.  I got the copy of my stereo. biopsy path report today, and now I will undertake the translation.  One line that maybe someone could help with is under the clinical history section, they wrote "R/O DCIS".  I know what the DCIS is, but any clues as to the R/O?  Results Of maybe, or ???  So, that's all for now.  

Viddie, sounds like you are making great healing progress. What next?  
Boninclyde, how'd the genetic testing go?
Googled R/O and it means Rule Out in medical terminology.
Genetics test was easy. Now I wait.

Glad you have a plan. I wish you well.
Thanks, Viddie. It's a real relief. These last 2 months have changed me. I'm still coming down from this craziness. I'm so glad you have your friends around. You sound good. I hope you enjoyed your shower!

boninclyde, I am praying for you and your girls. I have been thinking about dahrma, too. I wish she would let us know what happened.

VermontgirlII, The waiting is maddening. I'm happy you finally have an appointment.

You're all in my prayers.
Lauren

You're all in my prayers daily. I complain about my life but my stresses don't begin to match what you are going through with your continued reports, treatments, future surgeries, testing, etc.

Boninclyde I will pray the genetic testing will turn out favorable. Glad it hear it wasn't too bad.
Hi everyone.  I'm scared so I'm on this website reading everything!  I was called back for a diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound, and now I have a biopsy scheduled for Monday am.  There are several areas of concern on my left breast, which just appear as dark areas on the ultrsound.  I was so upset about the biopsy I can't remember much else the doctor told me!  I have a call in to my OB/GYN now.  I'm so worried about this.  I know you all can relate.  I know there's a good chance it's nothing, etc., but it's agonizing right now.  I'm crying, I'm scared, and I'm useless to my family.  I'm putting on a brave face for my kids, but how do you "carry on" when you feel like you've been hit with a huge blow?  And you're waiting for another possible one?  My biopsy is "core-needle".  I don't even care about the procedure, just the results!
Hi, please try to take this one small step at a time.  I understand that this is extremely difficult and I think we tend to jump to a worst case scenario when we are first told that the doctors want more testing done, I know I did.  Remember that they are just trying to clarify something that is appearing on your ultrasound, which is preferable than just watching and waiting.  It is great that you have your biopsy scheduled, then be prepared for another wait for the test results.  Some facilities have them the next day, and some do not have results for several days.  It's too bad that they haven't figured out a way to get these results back to women sooner, because the waiting causes so much stress.  It is really emotional torture, but try and remember that most results come back benign, and there are so many reasons you can have benign abnormalities, from cysts to fibrocystic changes.  So please, just take this one step at a time.  It is a process, and I pray that this is as far as you have to go in it.  Please let us know how you make out.
Thanks so much for your kind words.  I do tend to jump to worst case scenario, and that's exactly what I did.  My biopsy this morning turned into a very quick deal, and he ended up draining two small cysts and I was done.  What a relief!  I will never take breast health for granted again, and I will always be here in this forum to support anyone else who needs it, just like I did when I was so scared!  Thank you for your prayers and support, and I will keep everyone here in my continued prayers.

I had a follow-up mammogram today along with an ultrasound. The bottom line is that I need a core biopsy with ultrasound, because whatever it is , is not palpable. I've been so scared, waiting for this follow-up appointment, but now that I know I need a biopsy, it's almost somewhat of a relief to at least know where I'm heading. I've been reading all of your posts today, and I'm much less scared of the biopsy procedure than I was this morning. You all seem to agree that it was not terribly painful, and of course, that's the first worry.  I'm working on being positive about the results!  My question is, did you go to a durgeon or a radiology lab for your biopsies? and if you went to a durgeon, how did you find a good one?
Thanks.
Hi, I went to a radiologist for my stereotactic biopsies.  If you have a breast care center in your area, I would recommend going there for any follow up procedures to your diagnostic mammogram.  The doctors there generally work as a team, from what I've observed.  As far as finding a good surgeon, I don't know, I went on the reputation of the facility overall.  Good luck.
I believe stereotactic biopsies are always done by radiologists since it involves imaging machines. A radiologist from the center where I had my mammo taken did my biopsy. When I had a needle-directed biopsy and incision biopsy I went to a local surgeon recommended to me. My doctor asked me to choose a surgeon rather than her recommend one. (?) We have no breast center near here.
Hi, I just had a surgical biopsy yesterday a local needlezation biopsy after having a sterotactic biopsy. I wish I had someone that went thru this to talk to me.. so I will talk to anyone that is going thru this now... Yesterdays biopsy was so so scary for me, besides the reason of actually having it.. .I am scared of hospitals and I had to go have it in one , in an operating room. I had a local and sedation not anethesia which made me feel better but the whole thing is scary. but I have to say I must have fallen asleep and I woke in recovery thinking wow this is great its OVER .. but yes, now is the waiting on results... This all started with a routine mammogram and finding of calcifications the first biopsy came back with the atypical ductal hyperplasia.. so that is why they said I should have a excersional biopsy.. also had my first MRI with a dye put in me looking for cancer and that came back normal.. so hopefully I will get good news and this nightmare will be over.. the surgeon said with the naked eye it looked good to him but he wont know for sure until it goes to pathology ... fingers crossed.. I will let you know... but if anyone wants to ask any questions about either procedure I would be happy to answer them.. good luck to all
Thanks for sharing. Bigsexymama posted near the top about atypical hyperplasia. She's really concerned. Maybe you two can compare info. Biopsies really are ordeals. People who haven't experienced them don't realize how deeply they effect us. I'm glad you made it through yours ok. Hope you get your results soon.