Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Recurrence and Chemo
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Recurrence and Chemo

I am a 53 yr old who had a ductal carcinoma 3 years ago.  I had a lumpectomy, (1 of 10 nodes had cancer), followed by chemo (CMF-8 treatments) and radiation.  Then I started on tamoxifen which I still take.
I underwent a mastectomy this week for a 1.4 tumor recurrence in the same spot.  No other cancer in breast.  Four nodes were taken and were clear.  All C.T. tests, bone scan, chest x-ray and blood work were good.  My question is - Do I need to have chemo again?
My oncologist has suggested AC.  I am afraid of heart complications.I have a strong family history of heart problems.  How will taking this improve my chances? What percentage?  Is it worth the risk?
My surgeon has hinted that the radiation failed - not the chemo.
Are there other things I should be taking instead of tamoxifen?
If I have a metastactic cancer later- is it true that I would not be able to be treated with Adriamycin again? I don't want to do chemo again as just a precautionary measure but if it is needed I will. I'm afraid of other serious things it might to do me.  I am also non-insulin dependent diabetic.