Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Shrinkage after radiation

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Shrinkage after radiation

I've tried to live with the results of my bilateral reconstruction for the past six years, but I have reached my limit.  I had radiation on my left breast, now it has shrunk.  While my right breast is a "B" cup in size, the left is almost an "A".  I have to wear padded bras and inserts to compensate for the loss. The most painful part is when my husband would suggest how nice I would look in sexy lingerie and dresses with no straps, all I can say is I can't wear that. I can't even tell him why not, (not that he would not understand, I just can't). I won't even walk in the nude around him in the light.  I did have the TRAM procedure done initially and did use the fat from my stomach to reconstruct my breast. I really worked my arm and breast to keep down the scar tissue.  I have full range of motion with my arm and very little scar tissue right above the radiation site. I am so desperate to hear of a procedure that can be done on a site after radiation. At this point, I'm willing to try anything.
Dear Shrinkage after radiation:  Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for tissue to experience changes after radiation therapy.  Some of these changes can make surgery on the tissue extremely difficult.  In terms of options, your best bet would be to consult a plastic surgeon, preferably someone who has experience in dealing with radiated breast tissue.  By examining you, he/she will be much better equipped to make recommendations based on what they believe the expected outcome could be for your situation.
I also was unhappy with the results of my breasts after reconstruction with TRAM free flap (see similar thread, "augmentation after reconstruction" in the archives).  I am scheduled for implants this week and am excited (and a little nervous!) about the surgery.
I hope you can find a way to make your breasts even- could your plastic surgeon place an implant on the left to match the right?  There are many options out there- I hope you have a good doctor to discuss them all with you.  Good luck!!!
A related discussion, Breast Shrinkage was started.