Breast Cancer Community
Symmetry

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Symmetry

I was just called back for a diagnostic mammogram due to symmetry issues of one breast on a regular mammogram.
What does that mean and how often will that be positive for cancer?
Hi there.

Changes in symmetry reports from a mammogram is really a non-specific finding, and the incidence of this eventually turning out to be cancer is low.  It is better to ask the radiologist regarding the BIRADS category of your mammogram, since we will know from this category if the findings are benign or if this would warrant further treatment.

The BIRADS categories are as follows:

0 - Incomplete - Additional tests are necessary to further evaluate the findings, or follow up may be needed

1 - Negative - No imaging findings; recommends routine screening

2 - Benign - There are mammogram findings, but benign in nature; still recommends routine screening

3 - Probably Benign - Breast mammogram findings are most likely benign (>90%), short term follow up test is necessary

4 - Suspicious - Breast findings have probability of a malignant nature, biopsy is recommended.

5 - Highly Suspicious of Cancer - The breast findings have a very high chance of being malignant (>90%). Biopsy or more definitive treatment is recommended.

Regards and God bless.
I am 39 years young and found a lump in my breast the night before Thanksgiving.  Monday I had a diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound.  The results on the final report is BIRADS Category 5.

The impression reads:  A solid irregular hypoechoic mass associated with heterogeneous microcalcifications is identifed at the 10 o'clock position of the right breast in the area of reported palpable concern.  This is highly suspicious for malignancy and further evaluation with ultrasound guided core needle biopsy is recommended.

it also states:  Bilateral breast ultrasound was performed for additional evaluation.  In the area of reported palpable concern at the 10 o'clock position of the right breast, there is an irregular solid hypoechois mass measuring 2.2 x 1.9 x 1.1 cm.  This is associated with microcalcifications and is hightly suspicious fo rmalignancy.

I picked up my films yesterday and have an appointment with the surgeon this friday to review the films and to plan for the biopsy .  I have no family history of breast cancer and really was not concerned about this lump being cancer until my family started to worry and research the BIRADS Catagory 5 definition.

I guess I just want to hear something positive at this point.  Got anything for me?

thanks
I am not sure if you can answer this question as well or not...but, thought I would try.  I did have my first base line mammogram in July of last year and this lump was not there.  They included this with my films and the findings report from Monday this week.  Does it mean anything?  Does it mean anything?  How long does it normally take for a mass to get to this size if it is not cancer?