Breast Cancer Community
Ultrasound results

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Ultrasound results

Every year I share with you my mammogram  and my ultrasound results
I am 56
I am always very concerned for any new results because my mother and siter had breast cancer!!
My new ultrasound results:
Benign findings are seen in both breasts without significant change since the previous examination. There is an oval focal nodule at 8:00 in the right breast 7x4x5 and is in keeping with a small fibroadenoma or focal parenchymal tissue. No suspicious lesions identified. No significant change
Mammogram said no abnormalities detected!!

Last year ultrasound:
At the left breast, a tiny 3mm hypoechoic area seen close to the nipple. This may represent island of parenchymal tissue. No focal suspicious solid nodule is detected.2 lymph nodes are identified in the left axilla
At the right breast , small 3mm focal areas are present at 6:00. Similar appearance was also noted in the last examination and may represent parenchymal tissue. No suspicious solid nodule is detected. The right axilla is unremarkable. Breast parenchyma is prominent bilaterally . This is unchanged
Also mammogram last year said no abnormalities
My questions:

-In my recent ultrasound , radiologist mentions that there is a oval focal Nodule that was seen previusly, but this is not true, in my previous ultrasound they mentioned that there are focal areas of 3 mm in my right breast that may represent parenchymal tissue! Never they mentioned that there s a nodule !When they say focal areas of 3 mm , do they mean that the whole area is 3 mm or each focal area is 3 mm?
- in my last year ultrasound they said there small areas of 3 mm in my right breast that may represent parenchymal tissue, this year they say that this area is 7x4x5 and it  is in keeping with a small fibroadenoma or focal parenchymal tissue. Does it mean that the 3 mm focal areas seen last year are now 7x4x5?
Please explain to me I want to know if the area that radiologist claimed that they are 3 mm area of parenchymal tisue, has grown now to be bigger and represent a fibroadenoma?????
Please I need your help i am so freaking out , especially that I have a strong family history of breat cancer!
Than you
Leslie5

This discussion is related to prominent parenchymal tissue.

Believe me, I understand how much anxiety can be generated by going through screenings, esp. when there is a family hx of BC!

Unfortunately, there is no way for me to tell you exactly what the radiologist meant by some of his/her observations about measurements, etc.. You would have to contact your referring physician or the radiologist for clarification.

Meantime, however, please rest assured your mammogram and ultrasound results were favorable, and did not include anything to "freak out" about.

The most important conclusions in what you quoted above were:" Benign findings; No suspicious lesions identified; No significant change; no abnormalities detected."  

Keep focusing on those statements and perhaps your anxiety will begin to diminish.

Best wishes,
bluebutterfly

Thank you so much for your reply!
I will call my doctor early next week and will ask for more details about the dimensions
Meanwhile I will keep in mind what you concluded
But is it normal to have  fibroadenoma at my age? I Am postmenopausal since 5 years ! and 56 now
Is the fibroadenoma that I have a simple one or complex? How can I tell the difference?
Thank you
Hi again,

Fibroadenomas tend to occur most often in young women, but may occur in others as well.

Please keep in mind that the radiologist said only that "There is an oval focal nodule at 8:00 in the right breast 7x4x5 and is in keeping with a small fibroadenoma or focal parenchymal tissue," so it is not even certain that you have a fibroadenoma, much less whether it might be simple or complex.

The only way to get a conclusive diagnosis of a fibroadenoma is a breast biopsy. While this can cause some anxiety, just understand that it takes a pathologist looking at the cells of a breast lump to really tell what the true nature of a breast lump may be. If you've got a fibroadenoma, you have choices about how to deal with it. Often they are just left alone unless they become large and /or painful,

However, given your hx and level of anxiety, you may want to consult  with your doctor or a breast surgeon for help in deciding whether you would like to have a biopsy of this finding in order to know exactly what it is.

bb

I am going to add another comment below with a link to a post about fibroadenomas by zouzi, who answered one of your questions in the past.
p.s. I have also copied you, in a private message, with an article which I think provides particlarly good coverage of fibroadenomas. Check your inbox (top of page, right hand corner).

bb

Hello
thank so much bb for your help ! Greatly appreciated!
Thank you
Leslie
Glad I could help.

Please keep us posted in regard to any developments--we care!

bb
Hi, Leslie,
I can see that bb gave you excellent advice. In case it will make you feel a little better, I just thought I'd add that I had a fibroadenoma removed just before my 56th birthday. Like bb said, they're more common in younger women, but can occur in older women as well. Like you, I also had a family history and other high risk factors for breast cancer, so I had it removed and the diagnosis confirmed by biopsy. I've also had 3 subsequent lumps removed and feel better knowing they're out. I told my surgeon I preferred excisional biopsies because if they did turn out to be cancer, I'd have to have them removed anyway, so why undergo two procedures instead of just one?
I hope you get clarification from your doctor, if you haven't already, and get all your questions answered. You always have a right to a second opinion if you feel that would be helpful in your case. I'm wishing you all the best in resolving your issues, and hopefully, the peace of mind you're looking for.
Hugs,
nc
Hello ncmichigan
Thank you for your feedback !
Actually I am calling the radiologist today for clarification, and booking an appointment with a breast clinic for  a second opinion , they will help me decide what to do
I would like yo  ask  you few questions  about  the fibroadenoma that you had it removed before your 56th birthday:
- Was it palpable?
-Have you had it for a long time?
-Was it always showing on your mammograms and ultrasounds for do many years ? appeared  lately?Or all of a sudden?
-What  size was it?
-the other 3 lumps removed were also fibroadenoma?
Thank you for sharing !
Leslie
I'm sending you a private message, Leslie. I don't mind sharing on this forum, but there are some things I prefer to keep private.
nc
PS: Things got busy---I'll have to send that private message tomorrow! Sorry about the delay, but I WILL get back to you!
To all the members
I am thankfull for your prompt answers and your excellent support!!!
I booked an appointment with the breast clinic to get more clarification , I will keep you posted !!
You were all such a great support without exception. !!
Thank  you again for taking the time and  effort to explain and to ease my worries !!
Leslie