Breast Cancer Expert Forum
What else does ER/PR mean?
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

What else does ER/PR mean?

What else does the ER/PR tell us besides how we would react to treatment?  My report came back ER+ 90% and PR+ 70%, cerb2-.  I realize that this means I will respond to chemotherapy favorably, however, I was wondering why my levels are so high.  Could it be because I am on birth control pills and drink wine in moderation with dinner thus causing these levels to be high.  What is normal?
     I am 44 premenapausal, Stage 1 bc, IDC with EIC, no nodes, no mets.  I opted for bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction using saline implants due to family history (mother had breast cancer, stage 1).  No chemo or radiation.  Do I need to worry about the amount of hormones in my body.  What else can I do to prevent a reoccurence.

Thanks so much!
Related Discussions
Dear babsi:  The ER/PR status tells us that the tumor cells have receptors on them that cause them to be sensitive to estrogen and/or progesterone.  It is strictly a description of the cells.  Your hormone status/lifestyle (ingestion of hormones) may influence the amount of estrogen circulating in your body that could influence the tumor growth but it does not cause the tumors to develop as estrogen or progesterone positive.  ER/PR status also tells us that a tumor will likely respond to therapies that lower the levels of these hormones.  From research, we also know that ER/PR positive tumors have a somewhat better prognosis.
3 Comments
Blank
As far as is known, the hormone status of a tumor has nothing to do with your habits, medications, etc. It's simply a matter of the nature of the cancer cells after the mutation occurs that causes them to become cancer. ER/PR + tumors, as you know, are better-acting. It's good news, and nothing else; more premenopausal women have ER- tumors. So, consider yourself lucky, and don't worry about other implications: there are none.
Blank
Thank you for your response!
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank