Breast Cancer Expert Forum
antidote for tamoxifen hair loss

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

antidote for tamoxifen hair loss

I posted earlier question about tamoxifen and hair loss. What is the mechanism by which the tamoxifen causes hair loss? I have read that in general, hair loss can be caused by excessive conversion of androgen to DHT. Since Tamoxifen reduces estrogen, does that mean more androgen is available to be converted to DHT? I have read that Saw Palmetto, like finasteride, blocks the enzyme that conversion of androgen to DHT.  If tamoxifen allows more DHT to be created, would taking saw palmetto supplements be an antidote for the side effect?
Dear LisaRay, Dear LisaRay, I am combining my answer to both of your questions.  Hairloss is an uncommon side effect of tamoxifen, (<1-5%), arimidex also has hairloss listed as a side effect - again uncommon.  Likely the cause is the decreasing estrogen levels, (hair loss (alopecia) can also accompany menopause, the decrease in estrogen, may be the culprit).  There may also be an element of genetics to this as well (you may have experienced more hair thinning with menopause).  In other words many factors could be contributing to the hair thinning and loss, the starting of tamoxifen could be just one additional factor.  It is hard to predict whether the hair loss will stop eventually, even with stopping of the tamoxifen.

Androgens convert to different hormones, in post-menopausal women they are stored in body tissues, and are converted to estrogen.  The mechanism of action of tamoxifen is to block estrogen at sites in the breast and other body tissues, so this would not influence the conversion of androgen to DHT.

Regarding the particulars of using saw palmetto, I could not locate any specific research regarding its use in the treatment of alopecia (hair loss).  Most data is in its role in use for benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) - enlarged prostate.
I am watching for your answer.    My hair is growing back VERY SLOW and I am taking Tamoxifen, AND WILL BE FOR 4 MORE YEARS.
I haven't received an answer yet.
I wonder about the genetics issue. My parents, ages 75 and 79 both still have very full heads of hair. My maternal grandmother, still alive at 105, also has a decent head of hair although it is somewhat thin.
A related discussion, I am loosing my hair... was started.
A related discussion, severe hair loss was started.