Breast Cancer Expert Forum
breast biopsy question

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

breast biopsy question

I had a core biopsy yesterday following a positive mammogram and ultrasound that confirmed a "mass" on Tuesday.  Upon return home I noticed that the area biopsied was NOT the area of my concern.  [I felt my lump in January.] The radiologist showed me the area that she biopsied as she used the guided ultrasound into "tumor" but how can I be sure it was the one that I question most?  Do I request a subsequent biopsy, or will it be a good biopsy, no matter where the palpable lesion?  In other words, can some lesions in the same breast be cancerous and some not?  
Dear Nurse Jane:  Without examination and review of the mammogram and ultrasound, we cannot speculate on whether the lump on ultrasound etc is or is not the same lump you may have felt.  You might want to ask your doctor this question.  Generally, if there is an area of concern on scan, that is where the needle is placed.  There may be more than one approach to the same
Are you talking about the "insertion" point?  where they went in with the needle?  Because my biopsy "insertion" point was way on the other side from my lump.  and they most likely put a marker at the biopsy site and then did another mammogram immediately following the biopsy.  This is what they did for me.  In which case, your surgeon will get the results of the biopsy AND the mammogram and he/she will know where the biopsy was taken.  So if they took from the wrong spot, your surgeon will know.  

Hopefully, they did things right and you won't have to do it again.  As if having a lump isn't stressful enough????  

Good luck to you!!!
In case anyone out there, is in need of a breast biopsy, don't worry--with new technology,  breast biopsies are more successful, than they used to be!

Fear is the opposite of faith, besides stress and worry can contribute to illnesses such as cancer.
A related discussion, Timeline was started.
A related discussion, help was started.
A related discussion, worried more now  was started.
A related discussion, breast biopsy was started.