Breast Cancer Expert Forum
breast cancer and neuropathy

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

breast cancer and neuropathy

A recent occurence of ulnar neurapathy with no underlying problems prompted my neurologist to order a mammogram, I am now having a biopsy on Friday due to suspicious microcalcifications found during the exam. Doing my own research brought up one article associating upper extremity neuropathy with breast cancer. I can't find the article again, have never heard of this, how common is it?
Dear rlk64:   Dysfunction of a single nerve group (such as the ulnar nerve) is known as mononeuropathy.  In most cases, mononeuropathy is related to local nerve damage, such as direct trauma (often an elbow injury), prolonged pressure on the nerve or compression of the nerve due to swelling or damage to nearby structures.  Uncommonly, systemic disorders can cause isolated nerve damage such as mononeuritis multiplex.  In some cases, the cause cannot be identifed.

Neuropathy is not uncommon in breast cancer that has been treated with certain types of chemotherapy.  However, this is usually a generalized peripheral neuropathy that is not localized to a single nerve.  It is extremely rare for isolated ulnar nerve damage to be a presenting symptom of breast cancer.  
I had my Biopsy on Friday, and received the results today indicating no malignancy, just mild epithelial ductal hyperpasia, stromal fibrosis, adensis, microcysts, and rare intraductal microcalcifications (not sure of the significance of rare) but all are deemed to be normal and not to increase my risk of breast cancer down the road. Thank you for the site and the opportunity to ask questions that you do not always think of during your test or office visit.
A related discussion, breast cancer with neuropathy was started.