Breast Cancer Expert Forum
burning sensation inside breasts

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

burning sensation inside breasts

I have had an intermittent burning sensation inside my breast tissue (not on the skin) for approximately one year. The sensation has occurred in both breasts at different times, but it occurs mainly in the left breast (usually several times per day). It does not seem to occur due to any particular activity, nor does the time of occurance follow any pattern.  When I mention the burning sensation to the Dr., he never replies.

Here is some of my recent history:  I discovered a small (pea size) lump on the underside of my left breast about six weeks ago, (I had a "normal" mamogram (mammogram) a few weeks earlier). The Dr. (a surgeon) did an ultrasound and wasn't too concerned about it, so we waited 6 weeks to check it again.

Yesterday, I had the second ultrasound (by the same Dr.), and even though we can still feel the lump, it did not appear on the ultrasound. However, there was an abnormality that showed in the form of two, distinct, parallel streaks that ran the length of the breast.

The Dr. didn't know what the two streaks were, so he reccomended a biopsy of the lump, even though it didn't show up on the ultrasound.

My two questions are:
1) Do you know what could be causing the burning sensation inside the breast?
2) Do you know what could be causing the two streaks that show on the ultrasound?

The only meds I take are 100 ug levoxyl/day and 70 mg Fosamax/2 weeks. and 1000-1500 mg Calcium per day.

Thank you in advance for your help.
carmen100
Dear carmen100:  Without examination, and review of the mammogram and ultrasound, it is not possible for us to speculate on the cause of the burning or the "streaks" on the ultrasound.  Burning sensation is not uncommon and may have many possible causes.  Most breast cancer is not associated with pain or burning.  Ultrasound is best at differentiating between solid and cystic (fluid-filled) masses.  Your surgeon may be better able to describe these "streaks" to you after reviewing your films.
Suggest IBC, immflamatory Breast Cancer. It appears as sheets because it does not create a lump, although lumps may sometimes appear with it. Be persistant with your Dr. It is hard to diagnose and many Doctors have not seen a case of it.
It may not be cancer. After I had a non palpable malignant lump in my right breast, lumpectomy, chemo and radiotherapy I noticed, and you could see it visibly, a long ropey lump, about 2" long, from the top of the breast down towards the nipple. The first breast surgeon I saw at an emergency clinic (not my normal surgeon) said it was due to radiotherapy. Two months later I had my annual check up with normal surgeon and he said I had Mondor's Disease - a very rare condition, non malignant, that few doctors see. It was so rare he asked if I would mind him bringing in some of their radiographers, so they could see, and feel the lump. No problem.
He also said he has seen Mondor's before, but never in a patient who had had breast cancer. It took a long time (maybe a year) for the lump to go down, and all is fine now.
I would make sure you see a breast surgeon who has extensive experience of dealing with breast lumps.
I hope it turns out fine, but please get it checked out.
Hi Carmen - just realised, the other clinical name for Mondor's Disease is thrombophlebitis of the breast. I was very concered about this as my maternal grandma died of this at age 53, but hers was in her leg. If you Google Mondor's disease, you will find a lot of information which you may find useful.
Take care, Liz.
A related discussion, burning breast was started.
I have a constant burning sensation in my left breast. I can't stand the pain. If it moves I want to cry. I don't even want to wear a bra it hurts and burns so bad. It doesn't go away or subside with anything I do. This has been going on for about two days and it's driving me crazy. I have checked for lumps, redness, swelling, and draining and it doesn't have any of this. I'm seem to be burning up just in this one breast. Someone please if u can help me I'm scared to death of cancer. It runs in my family very bad. Please if u can help help me.