Breast Cancer Community
confused

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

confused

Hello...I have had multiple biopsies..all benign up to this point..Recently I had a 6 mth follow up...once complete the nurse came over and said looks fine come back in 6 mths...then my breast specialist physician (his nurse)called me and said he wanted to see me..I asked y as the radiologist said everything was fine till March...I asked her to please be sure he really needed to see me as it was far away and i have little ones and if it was just for him to tell me the same thing the radiologist said then can we skip it. So she said that she would check with him...2 weeks passed I heard nothing and forgot about it...then she calls and says he wants to see you...i say why again for same reasons..she said it was a birad 3 and hyperechoic and that he wanted to check me out and review the films again etc...everything i have read online says birad 3 is barely used any more and no reason for a dr visit at least for 6 mths...believe me im not trying to be difficult i go through this a lot...i guess im just wondering what is he seeing that the radiologist didnt..any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
I would say that your films were only "looked at" while you were there to have them done ... later even on another day they would be "read" and a full and final report would have been prepared and sent to your Breast Specialist. Evidently he does not feel comfortable with the report and needs to see you, examine and review the films and discuss it in detail face to face. I would NOT hesitate to make that appointment and follow through with the Dr.s request. If BIRADS 3 were of no use then it wouldn't be relied upon in reports. To me it's a "better safe than sorry" issue and if you ignore the advice your Dr. may think you don't really care or you're not concerned; I would ....... Regards
thank you!! I didnt think about how they might be looked at less "hastily" l8ter:):)
just got copy of report...any translation of this line would be helpful: "the lesion was described as discordant with the pathology result"
This would suggest that the appearance of the lesion and the pathology
report don''t agree/are not in accord.

Further evaluation is likely to be recommended to resolve the disagreement between the two.

Best wishes,
bluebutterfly
Hi,June,
I'm just wondering if this follow up mammo was after your last biopsy---I think that's what you meant, but just wanted to be sure. If so, that would make the line you quoted from the report make sense. As bb said, additional screening should resolve the issue and it's good that your doctor is pursuing the needed follow up.
I have also had multiple biopsies--- my last one found LCIS. Since then (2009) my reports were always BIRADS 3, requiring 6 month follow up. The only real treatment for LCIS is vigilant screening. My mammo and MRI have been stable, so this past visit the radiologist and my oncologist recommended yearly screening with 6 month clinical exam. I'm doing all I can to ensure that if the LCIS leads to an invasive cancer at some point,
it'll be caught really early when it's highly treatable. In any case, I'm hoping that your follow up will end up benign again. Believe me, I know the stress of multiple biopsies and screenings, but we do what we have to do, right?
Please let us know how you're doing if you wish by adding a note to the end of this thread. We do care and wish you all the best.
Hugs,
nc
thank you so much ...yes it was a follow up mammo and ultrasound...i will let you all know appt is tomorrow:):)
Good luck, June and I'm truly hoping all ends up well.
I just wanted to clarify what I said about treatment for LCIS. I should have said "in my case" the only treatment is vigilant screening. Tamoxifen or another estrogen-blocking medication for five years is also recommended, but I couldn't take it. Bilateral prophylactic mastectomy is also an option for some women but is often considered extreme by most oncologists. Some women have their own reasons for choosing it based on their own personal history and risk factors and that's ALWAYS their choice. Right now I chose to just watch and wait as there's about a 65% chance I'll never develop an invasive cancer. I just didn't want to leave women out there with misinformation about LCIS and hope this clarifies things.
All the best, June!
nc