Breast Cancer Expert Forum
feels like a cord under the skin

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

feels like a cord under the skin

I started with a very sore spot in the breast.  There feels like a cord or a finger lying just under the skin.  The soreness has lightened somewhat but I still have pain at times.  The Dr. says he has never seen anything like it.  The mamm. and ultrasound both saw it but doesn't know what it is.  They say there is no indication of cancer.  Ultrasound says may be a very enlarged duct.  Have you ever heard of anything like this?  The cord runs from the aerola to under my arm.   Thank You
Dear MERVIN:  Sometimes fibrous breast tissue can be described as a cord-like feel.  However, it sounds like this may not be the explanation in your case.  You might consider an opinion with a breast specialist.  If he/she shares the same concerns as your doctor, there may be additional testing that could be done on the duct if that is what this is.
I had a similar condition called Mondor's Disease (or Mondor's Cording). It is a benign inflamation (inflammation) of a vein, which usually resolves in 6-8 weeks. Ibuprofen helped ease the pain.
Today I saw my OBGYN for soreness next to my left nipple.  Although there is no lump he diagnosed it as Fiber Cystic.  He put me on 400mg vit e twice and tylenol for paid and to see him again in 6 weeks.  Does this sound correct I did ask him twice regarding the name and I am sure that is what he says.  He did say that since there was pain that was a good thing.  Four years again I did have lung cancer after having a lobe removed and did not require any chemo or radiation.
Any comments