Breast Cancer Expert Forum
how fast should the surgery be performed after cancer diagnosis?
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

how fast should the surgery be performed after cancer diagnosis?

Hello, I am 32 years old with breast cancer family history.  I also went for a genetic testing - which found the mutation (don't know exactly which one yet).
I've found a lump in my breast in January and it took me a month to go through mammograms and ultrasound then biopsy.  The pathology report states: invasive ductal carcinoma grade 3.
ER negative, the size of the core is about 6 mm, but my surgeon estimates it to be bw 1 and 3 sm.  I cannot wait to get rid of it and I am scared that it's spreading while I am waiting for the surgery.  My surgery is scheduled for march 3 but if I decide to go for bilateral then they will need to change the date.
How long should/can I wait for it to be removed?
Has anyone had any experience with breast reconstruction, how long is the recovery?