Breast Cancer Expert Forum
how fast should the surgery be performed after cancer diagnosis?

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Hello, I am 32 years old with breast cancer family history.  I also went for a genetic testing - which found the mutation (don't know exactly which one yet).
I've found a lump in my breast in January and it took me a month to go through mammograms and ultrasound then biopsy.  The pathology report states: invasive ductal carcinoma grade 3.
ER negative, the size of the core is about 6 mm, but my surgeon estimates it to be bw 1 and 3 sm.  I cannot wait to get rid of it and I am scared that it's spreading while I am waiting for the surgery.  My surgery is scheduled for march 3 but if I decide to go for bilateral then they will need to change the date.
How long should/can I wait for it to be removed?
Has anyone had any experience with breast reconstruction, how long is the recovery?

Dear sanam, There is no exact answer for how long you should wait before having the surgery.  However, you have time to make a decision, get scheduled and proceed with the surgery, you wouldn't want to take months to take care of this but a week here or there should not be a problem.  The recovery after reconstructive surgery depends on the type of reconstruction, and also the individual.  In general recovery time is about 4 to 6 weeks.
Regarding reconstruction recovery-I had bilateral with immediate single-stage reconstruction using adjustable saline implants in September.  I was laid up for a couple weeks (slept in a recliner), didn't drive for three weeks, and went back to work at six weeks.  If one chooses flap reconstruction I believe the recovery is somewhat longer.  Check out bcsupport.org and breastcancer.org.  Both sites have good message boards where women can give you feedback on their experiences.  Take care!