Breast Cancer Expert Forum
inverted nipples
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

inverted nipples

I have had inverted nipples my whole life, but i constantly read that this could be a sign of cancer.  I believe there is a history of it in my family.  A friend of mine just had breast cancer at the age of 26.  Even though I am only 22, i still want to be proactive.  Is it normally only a sign of cancer if they were not always inverted, and turn to inverted nipples.. or just inverted nipples in general are a sign of cancer?
Related Discussions
242529_tn?1292452814
Dear chellbellz00, Inverted nipples can be a normal part of the anatomy.  If this was a new development or a change you would want to have it checked.  

3 Comments
Blank
Inverted nipples are not a sign of cancer, they are a birth defect. I had them all my life. It is just anatomy. I had sugery to make them reverse.But, I had no intentions of having more childern.. I nurese 3 children with inverted nipples. It was more difficult but it can be done. Now, when I had the sugery to revers them, that is different,they have to cut the milk ducts, so I could not ever nurse again. Which was fine, because I was done having childfen when I had this surgery. It is only cosmetic, and if they bug you then get them fixed. But, they do not have anyting to do with getting breast cancer, I have never heard that.
Blank
425922_tn?1203525428
Hi!  I have also had inverted nipples all my life.  They are not a birth defect, they are just a special thing that makes you... YOU.  You are special.  I am much older and have been asked a million times by doctors "how long have your nipples been inverted".  They ask this because NEWLY inverted nipples may be a sign of breast cancer, not people like us who have always been special.
It does make breast feeding more of a challenge when you wish to have children.  I tended to pump and bottle  feed breast milk to my three chiildren rather than try to breast feed after many attempts and not being sure the baby was feeding.  You are different and special, but that does NOT mean you should not be watching for breast cancer.  Early detection is always the best way to make breast cancer curable.  HAve the finest of days!
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank