Breast Cancer Expert Forum
left nipple is darker than the other, sometimes itchy

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

um... i'm twenty years old. i've had itchiness in my left nipple before, it became dry and flake-y. so i went to an OB/GYN for consultation. she did a breast-examination and she said it was fine. there were no lumps or discharge found. and she also did a pectoral exam on me. the result was also clear. and then i also told her that i have irregular periods. i've had that consulted before and the result was hormonal imbalance. sometimes i have regular periods, sometimes i don't. and three months prior to when my nipple started itching, i didn't have any period. but it's not the first time it happened.

anyway, she prescribed an ointment for the nipple problem i consulted, and a contraceptive for my hormonal imbalance, and a tablets for blood sugar too.

what i'm worried about is the flaking and dryness are gone, and my left nipple looks fine now. it's just that, i noticed that the color is darker than the other nipple...?  is there something wrong? or is this normal? should i consult this with the doctor? please help. i've been really, really scared since i've heard of paget's disease...
Dear mada,  Paget's disease is an uncommon form of breast cancer that usually presents as a scaling and itching on one nipple that does not go away. Other skin conditions, such as eczema, are much more common.  It is not unusual to have some variation in skin color.  If symptoms persist or worsen see your doctor for additional evaluation.
thank you so much. i'll take note of your advice. but for now, you've given me the wonderful gift of peace of mind ^^
A related discussion, Nipple itchness was started.