Breast Cancer Expert Forum
lump in armpit

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

lump in armpit
I have a lump in my armpit.  I've had it before and it comes and goes.  The first time i had it the Dr said it was probably due to stress and my immune system or that my sugar level was too high.  It comes and goes and is sometimes painful but not always.  I have just had a kidney infection and I was wondering if this could be the route of the problem.  I've been run down for a while and this may also be the cause.  i just need reassurance.
Dear joani:  Lumps in the armpit can be many things - from an ingrown hair to infection to cancer.  Cancer, in general, does not come and go.  It is not usually painful.  If it were an infection, one would suspect the infection would be closer to the arm.  A kidney infection would not likely cause a single lump in an armpit.  If this lump sticks around, you should have it evaluated by a breast specialist.  Depending on your age and risk factors, the doctor may also recommend a mammogram.
Hi, Is the lump moveable? it is probably a lymph node I have had one for a few months that seems to decrease and increase in size..is the lump soft? I know women can get swollen lymph nodes from shaving

I don't know if it's moveable? It doesn't seem to be moving.
It is quite large just now and it does come and go and changes
from large to small and large again.  I don't know how to tell
the difference between hard and soft.  If it was soft would it be squeezable?  If so, then it's not, it's more hard.  But it doesn't seem to be solid.  If that makes sense?
if it comes and goes it is probably a lymph node..I don't mean squishy soft I mean soft like a lima bean or something not stone hard..I ahve had the same thing under my arm almost above my breast and it seems to go down and then get bigger again..how long have you had it?
I've had it this time about a month.  It usually stays for a couple of months then disappears.  The first time I had it for about 3 months, the next couple of times for about 2 months.
If it's not gone away in a month I'll get it checked.

Thanks for your advice.
I have the same type of lump.  The size goes up and down, its tender and not hard.  I have been putting off going to the doctor since I have had a swollen sweat duct from using anti-perspirant and I was hoping that my change in deoderant would be enough.  What are your thoughts?

--Mztaki
I have a lump right in the middle of my armpit.  It is painful when I press on it. I noticed it a week ago.  Should I wait a couple of months to see if it goes away?
Hello,  I too have the same lump.  It's right in the middle of my armpit.  This is the first I've heard of it.  How long should I wait to go the doctor?
I get this lump in my armpit and its really soft. When it pops blood come out. Is that cancer??
A related discussion, Lump in right armpit was started.
A related discussion, lumps under both arms was started.