Breast Cancer Expert Forum
numbness in hands

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

numbness in hands

Hi !
4 years ago I had surgery, chemo - AC and TAXOL and radiation
for invasive BC. 2 month ago started numbness, tingling in my
hands and feet and getting worse. Can it be recurrence ?
Without being able to evaluate your symptoms it is difficult to speculate on what the cause might be.    The drug Taxol can cause neuropathy that can result in symptoms similar to what you describe,however, the symptoms usually begin during or soon after the course of chemotherapy and would not be expected at such a late time point. There are, however, other things that could cause neuropathy and things other than neuropathy that can cause the symptoms you describe.   You should bring your symptoms to the attention of your doctor who can evaluate the situation.

I finished chemo in April - had a combination of AC and then Taxol.  I had severe case of hand/foot syndrome with extreme sensitivity in hands and feet, burning and peeling.  After chemo was over, I still had numbness in my fingers.  It has been over three months and the numbness and tingling in my right hand has become worse with my right arm "going to sleep" so often at night that I am constantly tossing and turning.  The numbness seems to be lessening in the left hand, but don't understand what is happening in the right hand.  I also had 33 radiation treatments and am now on Arimidex.
A related discussion, taxol side effects was started.