Breast Cancer Expert Forum
painful breast mass

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

painful breast mass

I found a tender mass in my upper left breast a little over 2 years ago.  It has been looked at with mammograms and ultra sounds every six months since that time.  Every time the doctors say that nothing shows up on the mammogram or ultrasound.  They did find another spot in the same breast and I had this biopsied 2 years ago.  It came back negative and that spot has been stable for 2 years now.  The tender mass used to get worse right before my period and then be less painful after.  But the tenderness never goes away altogether.  Now the area has become more painful and tender all month long.  This breast also is starting to itch.  I had another utlrasound on the area a few days ago and the radiologist came and did the ultrasound herself to be sure she didn't see anything.  She said it all looks like normal tissue and could be hormones.  I am 46 years old.  Even though the radiologist said she does not believe this is cancer, I am still worried that someone is missing something since I can't get a firm explanation of what this is.  Can hormones cause a tender mass in one breast and not the other?  Is there another test I should be doing?  Can you offer an explanation of what this may possibly be?
Dear ljoan:  In short, yes, hormones can cause tenderness in one breast more than another.  At 46, you may also be perimenopausal which can result in very wide hormone fluctuations.  If this mass has been stable size wise for over 2 years and does not feel or image suspiciously, it is unlikely to be cancer.  However, you could ask if anyone is willing to biopsy for your own peace of mind.  
Hey ljoan I'm going threw the same thing b4 my period my breast feel painfull but after my period the pain goes away ... How ever one of my breast seem to b notisably bigger I had a kidney transplant and I wonder if every 3 months when I take regular blood test and daily check ups they would b able to detect anything .. I heard it could be hormones or a cyst but I'm honestly not scared if its cancer having a strong mentality can take u far and I recommend u stay calm you are bigger then your fears ! And only we have control of our life and we can't let anything get in the way we need to stay possetive and be real strong I hope everybody lives happy n if anyday at some point in life were sick we r strong enough to figh that sickness!
Breast cancer and breast tissue cancer is the same thing there is no difference. From 1975 to 2000 1.3 in every one million 15-19 year olds were diagnosed with breast cancer. It is very unlikely your friend has breast cancer if she is only 15 years old.
http://www.goarticles.com/cgi-bin/showa.cgi?C=2368278