Breast Cancer Expert Forum
seroma
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

seroma

I am curious about the use of a new treatment.  I had a bilateral mastectomy following a Stage I DCI.  I had a seroma that responded to use of cold laser (ML830).  The benefit was that there was no heat or puncture into the skin to treat it.  There was no contrainidication because I am cancer free.  Do you have any advise about this?  Also, what causes these to start?
Related Discussions
  • seroma (5 replies):
    my mother had mastectomy on july 07 and after the surger...[more]
  • Seroma - leg (2 replies):
    have a seroma that came up after surgery on melanoma an...[more]
  • Seroma (1 replies):
    I had a simple mastectomy of the right breast 5 weeks ag...[more]
  • seroma (1 replies):
    I am 14 years post lumpectomy & radiation for stage I ri...[more]
  • how to treat a seroma (1 replies):
    I have a small seroma from a breast mass & duct removal....[more]
242529_tn?1292452814
Dear handpt:  Seroma refers to a collection of serous fluid (the pale yellow straw colored fluid that is produced by lymph vessels and by the tissues that lie under the skin.  This is a common complication after mastectomy and thought to be caused by the fact that the mastectomy operation leaves a lot of 'empty space' under the skin where the breast tissue used to be. The walls around this empty space are raw and can ooze serous fluid - causing it to gather up in the space beneath the wound. The fact that the walls of the empty space are inflamed seems to trigger the seroma fluid.  

2 Comments
Blank
A related discussion, how to treat a seroma was started.
Blank
A related discussion, Seroma was started.
Blank
A related discussion, seroma was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank