Breast Cancer Expert Forum
seroma

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

seroma

I am curious about the use of a new treatment.  I had a bilateral mastectomy following a Stage I DCI.  I had a seroma that responded to use of cold laser (ML830).  The benefit was that there was no heat or puncture into the skin to treat it.  There was no contrainidication because I am cancer free.  Do you have any advise about this?  Also, what causes these to start?
Dear handpt:  Seroma refers to a collection of serous fluid (the pale yellow straw colored fluid that is produced by lymph vessels and by the tissues that lie under the skin.  This is a common complication after mastectomy and thought to be caused by the fact that the mastectomy operation leaves a lot of 'empty space' under the skin where the breast tissue used to be. The walls around this empty space are raw and can ooze serous fluid - causing it to gather up in the space beneath the wound. The fact that the walls of the empty space are inflamed seems to trigger the seroma fluid.  

A related discussion, how to treat a seroma was started.
A related discussion, Seroma was started.
A related discussion, seroma was started.