Breast Cancer Expert Forum
soild node

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

soild node

My mother and grandmother both have had breast cancer and I have been told by my doctor that my breast composition is extremely dense (what that means I would like to know) , I have extremely dense brest tissue and I have fiber cystic breasts. From the age of 22yrs and up I have had 3 biopsy's, multiple aspirations and mamograms done about once to twice a year due to always finding lumps that at times are so large they are distorting.
I recently found another very large lump in the left breast at 6 o'clock that is accompanied by feeling of being bruised along with the constant feeling of being poked by needles in the nipple area of the left breast and I also keep getting the sensation of my left nipple secreating fluid but after checking I found nothing. I went to doctor and was sent for a mamogram (mammogram) and ultrasound. I was given the results today and they are that both beasts have alot of cystis but they said the left breast have a solid node at 2 o'clock and one at 10 o'clock. What do they mean by solid node?
Dear lmd67:  I think they may mean solid nodule?  Cysts are fluid filled structures that are by definition, benign.  Dense breast tissue means that there is a lot of glandular tissue that makes reading a mammogram more difficult.  Dense tissue is very common in young women and often gets replaced by fat as we age.  A solid nodule would be a structure that is not a cyst but is solid.  Further characterization would need to be made by the radiologist to determine whether biopsy is needed.
I am 43 years old so, I am guessing that I will always have dense breast tissue if it has not changed by now. When my mother was found to have breast cancer she had a lump in the left breast that rapidly grew in one months time from the size of a small marble to the size of a tangerine. At the size of a tangerine the lump still did not show on mammogram so a biopsy was done and within 30 days she had the left mastectomy . I am scheduled to see a surgeon to have cystis aspirated but nothing was said about the soild nodules or what will be done about those I am a bit concerned.