Breast Cancer Expert Forum
splotchy, red, warm, itchy patch?

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

splotchy, red, warm, itchy patch?

Twice in the last several weeks I have had a sudden, splotchy, red patch (looks similar to a hickey), that is also warm and itchy, appear on my one breast. It's under the skin and is not just a surface irritation, and has been at two different locations. It resolves itself within a day or two. I've recently had my yearly mammogram, followed by an ultrasound to check what turned out to be cysts, nothing of concern. I've not yet hit menopause. Searching online I found information about IBC, and worried it might be the beginning stages of that. Although that's unlikely, I'm wondering what it may be from. Any ideas?
Dear nicholes,  Inflammatory Breast Cancer (IBC) is a rare type of breast cancer accounts for only 1 to 4 percent of all breast cancers.  It is called inflammatory because the symptoms are usually a redness and warmth in the skin of the breast, often without a distinct lump.   It can be mistaken for an infection and initially be treated with antibiotics.  IBC would not get better on the antibiotics, and symptoms would be unlikely to resolve on there own within a day or two.   The skin on the breast like anywhere else on the body is suscepible to rashes/irritations etc.  It is not possible to say what this is without benefit of further questioning and physical examination.  You may want to bring this to the attention of your doctor who can help to put it into context of your situation for you.  
Hi, I would just suggest that you go to the doctor. My step mom is going through IBC right now and you need to be ontop of it. Prayers for you!
sorry, that was for you.