Breast Cancer Expert Forum
swelling in armpit

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

swelling in armpit

For about the last 8 months to a year I have been having pain in my right breast, in the right arm pit and down my right arm.  Some days the pain is so bad I can barely use my arm.  I find the pain is worse approx. a couple days before my period.  I just had a physical done and the doctor said that there is some swelling under my right armpit.  She figures it is more muscle pain then anything and is sending me for physio.  She said if this doesn't help then she will send me for an ultrasound or mammagram.  I really do not feel this pain is muscle related as when I get this pain it is just out of the blue. Sometimes the pain in my right breast gets so bad it almost feels like I' having a heart attack.  I am 33 years old, my Grandma had breast cancer.  Should I be worried and try to convince my doctor I need a mammagram sooner??
Dear memyselfandI0412:  There are many possible explanations for breast pain.  Breast pain is quite common, particularly at times during the menstrual cycle.  Most breast cancer is not painful.  You may benefit by discussing your concerns with your doctor.  Since you are worried that this is breast cancer, your doctor may help to ease your mind by ruling this out.
I had a breast reduction 6 months ago Is it normal to still be sore and have pain