Breast Cancer Expert Forum
thickening at base of breast

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

thickening at base of breast

At my yearly check up, the doctor noticed a thickening at the base of one breast.  The report said 'area of bandlike prominence' on the report.  SHe did not seem to concerned about it. I am 41 years old and I am going for my first mamogram (mammogram).    DO you have any thoughts on this?

thanks for your time.
Dear ilovemyboys, It is hard to say much, is this found on the physical exam? Is this something you've noticed before? There are often some individual variations in exam such as a band of tissue at the bra line, which might be what this is. Completing the mammogram and reviewing the findings in light of the physical exam may help to clarify.
Hi, I felt the need to write. I too went for my first mamogram (mammogram) due to thickening of the breast (orange peel) I am 38 y.o. and it was determined i had a breast infection. I have posted a question because i am still uneasy with this since i still have pain.  The reason I am writing is because i noticed you signed I love my boys. That is my sign in name on just about everything (ilmb) Please let me know how you make out. I posted my question right after you and your "name" caught my attention. Good luck.
Thanks for your note.  I have two boys, age 7 and 3(today is his third birthday!).  I have a mamogram (mammogram) on wed and I will write back and let you know.  I am scared even though the doctor did not seem to be.
I hope your problem is resolved soon as well.

Have a great day!
I do not want to frighten anyone, but I will tell you of my experience.  I have had yearly mammograms for the last 14 years. (I am 69)  My last mammogram report (2002) said to get an ultrasound, which I did.  I had cancer.  It could be felt as a firm place, not the round "ball" I had been looking for all these years when I examined myself.  There is a type of cancer (Lobular) which just feels like a firm place.  If you continue to feel uneasy about your breast,  ask your physican, or better yet, a surgeon, about it.  He may recommend an ultrasound.  Sure hope yours is beneign.  Best Wishes,   Seven
Just wanted to let you know that the mammogram came back clear.  The thickening appears to be a fatty deposit.  
No ultrasound was needed as I guess the mammogram came back very clear.
This has certainly taught me to be more diligent with BSE from now on.
Not to frighten anyone either but my stageiiib cancer did not show up on my mammogram. The only clue I had was lymph node swelling.
I had noticed a "thickening" but had foolishly thought nothing of it.

I *highly* recommend requesting an ultrasound for your peace of mind and safety.