Breast Cancer Expert Forum
what does this mean

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

what does this mean
I had a needle localized biopsy. The results were benign but don't understand the language.
1)focus of dense stromal fibrosis with fibroadenomatous features
2)associated fibroadipose and fibroglandular breast tissue with no significant abnormalities.
3)negative for atypical ductal hyperplasia
4)negative for in situ or invasive carcinoma

I understand #4 and am very relieved.
Can you explain to me # 1d-3
Dear WAgirltoo: Numbers 1 and 2 simply describe breast tissue. Number 3 states that there is no atypical ductal hyperplasia (ADH). ADH can increase the risk for developing breast cancer. So, in this specimen, there is nothing to indicate cancer or an increased risk of cancer.

Hi - I am not a doctor or nurse, just a breast cancer survivor. Your biopsy results sound great! To me it just sounds as if you have very dense breasts, so guess you are quite young. You could call the breast care centre, or whoever did the biopsy and ask them to explain the results to you. It seems as if these doctors talk in a foreign language we have no knowledge of.
Take care, Liz.
Thank you for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to write. And bless you for thinking I must be young--I will turn 53 in June! I am thrilled at the results of this biopsie as it has taken 5 months to get to this stage. My cousin in New York has just had her breast removed and is suspected of being in stage 3 cancer, so while I dodged the bullet, she did not. Reading your comments and the ones from the docs has made me even more grateful and thankful for the technology we have today. Good luck to you!

Thanks again--

Pam (Wagirl too)