Burns Community
1st Degree burns becoming 2nd or 3rd degree burns

Burns are damage to any body tissue that is caused by chemicals, electricity, flammable liquids, flammable gases, fire, heat, hot liquids, fire, radiation, steam or sunlight. Discuss topics including sunburns, rug burns, varying degrees of burns and how to treat them.

About 3 weeks ago my 9 year old daughter, Hannah, burned herself while warming up a microwave entree.   It was a pasta dish that you heat for 3 minutes, stir, and reheat for an additional 2 minutes.   Upon removing it to stir, she spilled a large amount of sauce on her left forearm.   She came to me and told me that she burned herself and I examined her arm.   She had a large burn, roughly 5" long and 2-3" wide showing on her forearm.   It was pink in color, but there was no apparant blistering or skin damage aside from discoloration.   I ran it under cool water for about 20-25 minutes, then wrapped it in a dry towel and put crushed ice on the outside of the towel.  I've been told that the ice was not a good thing to do, but I can't take it back now.   A couple of hours later she went to a Halloween party with a friend and her friend's father for about 3 hours.   She wore a long sleeve shirt, as it was cool outside.   She did not complain of any pain at any point in time through the entire day, including when she told me about burning herself.

The next morning she had an early soccer game.   I got her up and inspected her arm, which was still red in color ( a deeper hue of red than the pink of the day before)  but still did not show any signs of blistering, weeping, or broken skin.   She got dressed and ate cereal as I prepared to go to work.   I had asked the same parent that took her to the Halloween party if he would take her to and from her soccer game, as his daughter is on the same team and that I had to work for 4 hours that morning.   I left Hannah in his care and went to work.

A couple hours after I was at work I received a call from Hannah's mother, my ex-wife.   She asked about the injury and I explained the above material and the fact that from what I know of burns it was a 1st degree burn.   She asked if she could take Hannah to Urgent Care, and of course, I agreed.   They treated the burn and sent her home, calling it a 2nd degree burn.   Two days later Hannah complained to her mother that her skin was peeling and she was taken to her normal pediatrician, who referred her to a burn center at a local university.   At the university she was diagnosed with a 3rd degree burn.

In hindsight,I realize that my best course of action would have been to take her to seek medical attention immediately no matter what.   What I need to know is if it's common for burns to continue to worsen over the course of time?   I do not know about what effect animal fats or vegetable oils might have that were likely in the pasta sauce.   The last time I saw the wound was roughly 15 hours after she burned herself, and at the time it still appeared to be a 1st degree burn.  Is it normal for cooking burns to worsen?   And if so, how long can they continue to worsen?

Any light on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

This discussion is related to FACE BURNED!!.
Put this question into another Doctor Forum for answers , I am sure you have learnt now it is not a good idea for a child to use the michro wave, they stand over it too long and are subjected to the Rays from it that can be harmful it is reccomended that everyone stands away several feet when using the michro wave.I hope your Daughter s arm continues to heal, try the other expert forums for an answer to your question.