Bladder cancer
About six months ago I was diagnosed with early stage bladder cancer.  I was invited to participate in a research study where I had 50/50 chance of receiving a chemo swab after removal of the tumors, which I agreed to do because I was told there was no other txtment.  The two tumors were removed, and because the study is double-blind I don't know if I received the chemo swab txtment.  Three months later two new tumors were found and I am scheduled to have those removed in one week.  Again I'm told no other txtment is available as there is a shortage of txtment drugs.  I would like to know if there are any other txtments available and, if so, what they are.  Any advice on how to proceed from this point?  Second opinion in order?  Thanks in advance for your help. c
How are you? The treatment for bladder cancer depend on a number of factors, including the type and stage of the cancer, your overall health and your treatment preferences- whether surgical or medical. A second opinion may be helpful at this point. Take care and do keep us posted.
How are you? The treatment for bladder cancer depends on a number of factors, including the type and stage of the cancer, your overall health and your treatment preferences- whether surgical or medical. A second opinion may be helpful at this point. Take care and do keep us posted.
I am not a doctor but have undergone treatment for bladder cancer. Standard procedure among urologists for early stage bladder cancer is inserting BCG into the bladder once a week for six weeks and/or mitomycin treatment after tumor removal.

There is no shortage of either of those drugs.

Ask your doctor about them.
Thank you for taking the time to answer.  I will have the mitomycin for the 6 treatments shortly, and have had surgery.  Hope all is well with you.
What is the procedure for securing a second opinion?  I am having some difficulty with this.
BCG is given once a week for six weeks so I'm sure that's what you mean . I never had a problem with the treatments, but the nurses at my doctor's office told me some people have a bad reaction to BCG. It's a cumulative effect, meaning you may feel fine the first week, but by the fourth, you're developing flu-like symptoms or feeling pain. Make sure your doctor is aware of any side effects you may experience.

For a second opinion, ask friends for referrals, see who's on the staff of your local medical school or hospital, contact your insurance company for suggestions or go back to your primary care doctor for a second referral. It's no big deal.

As you found out, bladder tumors recur rather fast after being removed. The urologist's playbook calls for tumor removal, BCG treatments and close monitoring(frequent cystoscopies) for the first few years. I don't know if a second opinion will tell you anything  different.

However. Dr. Santos is correct in that the staging of the tumor may influence one doctor's decision to act in a certain way while a second doctor may feel it should be treated in an entirely  different manner and present you with another treatment choice. Your doctor is legally obligated to provide you with a copy of your records. Get those and take it somewhere else if you'll feel better.
Thanks for all your help and taking the time to respond.