Cancer Community
Chemotherapy injection

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Chemotherapy injection

Is there any type of chemotherapy treatment which would involve a shot to the abdomen? I'm not referring to the IP treatment, but simply a quick injection. Doesn't chemotherapy need to go into the veins? In the case of ovarian cancer, is there a topical chemo that can be applied & if so would that require surgery or an injection? My daughter in law is getting a weekly abdominal shot, supposedly for stage 2 ovarian cancer, but I'm not confident about this treatment.  She's only 20 years old.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi.  As far as I know, the usual chemotherapy drugs given in ovarian cancer are not administered by intramuscular, intradermal or subcutaneous abdominal injections.  There is a type of hormonal treatment, called LHRH agonists (example: Zoladex) which can be given by abdominal injection.  However, this kind of treatment is still under study for its effectiveness in treating ovarian cancer.  It's not yet approved for general use outside clinical trials.  Its also possible that the drug you mentioned may be erythropoeitin, which  is not a chemotherapy drug, but one which increases the red cell production in preparation for chemotherapy.  Erythropoetin can also be given by abdominal injection.  I also don't think there's a chemotherapy drug which is given topically for ovarian cancer.  Is it possible for you to get the name of the drug you mentioned?  I can answer you better if you can provide this additional information. Thanks.
The drug being used is paraplatin which is being injected once a week (intramuscular Chemotherapy). It is being used to treat stage 2 ovarian epithelial cancer. The cysts have spread to the fallopian tubes. Is this typcial treatment for this kind of cancer?
Shouldn't surgery be performed first to remove the cancer, followed by chemotherapy.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi.  Carboplatin (Paraplatin) is usually given in ovarian cancer, and in other cancers as well, via intravenous route.  I have used this drug a lot in my clinical practice, but this is the first time that I've heard of carboplatin being given intramuscularly for ovarian cancer.  Maybe it's part of an ongoing clinical trial.  Certainly, intramuscular injection of Carboplatin is NOT standard procedure. The National Cancer Control Network (NCCN) treatment guidelines specify the use of Carboplatin in ovarian cancer for intravenous administration only. Giving chemotherapy prior to surgery in stage 2 ovarian cancer is a valid option. This procedure is called neoadjuvant chemotherapy.  This is done to shrink the tumor or limit its spread before doing the surgery.
Thanks so much for your information.  I'm beginning to think, based on your comments & my "online" research, that perhaps she is being treated for something other than cancer.
Her Pap smear in August revealed precancerous vaginal cells, which now she says was misdiagnosed & the reality is Ovarian cancer....but now I have my doubts.