Cancer Community
Colon Polyps in Young Adult

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Colon Polyps in Young Adult

I would like to know if it is common for a young adult to have colon polyps?  

At age 27 I had my first colonoscopy, because of stomach pain.  The result was a 2mm hyperplastic polyp with lymphoid aggregates in the rectum.  I had my second colonoscopy today (age 28), because of rectal bleeding.  They found that I have an internal hemorrhoid and a 4mm diminutive polyp in the rectum.  I do not have the test results back yet.  

Should I be having more colonoscopies then usual because of them finding polyps?
Do I have a high risk of colon cancer because of having these polyps at such a young age?
The frequency of your colonoscopies is something your physician should decide.

Patients I have taken care of with colon polyps were usually over the age of 40.  Polyps can be hereditary.  

Depending on what kind of polyps you have will determine if you are more susceptible   to colon cancer.  
I was diagnosed with Hyperplastic Polyps Syndrome at 27.  In the year following I had over 100 polyps removed.  I was told by my specialist that this is extremely uncommon as they don't normally see people in our age bracket for colonoscopies.  I would be really proactive and have colonoscopies regularly(6-12 monthly) until you have one come up with no polyps found.  They are not so bad when you consider the alternatives!  Goodluck to you.
im 17, an i just found out i have hemriods and colon polyps, am i at risk of cancer?