Cancer Community
HPV and tonsil cancer
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

HPV and tonsil cancer

I have had a swollen tonsil on one side (L) for 8 months now that seems to be getting worse and worse. The other tonsil  (R) seems to be swelling up as well recently. Mono test was neg and I have had contradicting comments from doctors. Doc at walk in said I should be referred to ENT but my GP refused to do so. He said I wasnt a 50+ yr old male with smoking or drinking problems so I shouldnt be worried....but when I said that I had read HPV could cause tonsil cancer he said he didnt see any warts. However, I thought that there are strains of HPV that dont cause warts but instead are responsible for oral and cervical cancer. Although I am monogamous now, I wasnt in my younger years, so I am afraid that I may have been exposed to a high risk strain of HPV which has led to tonsillar cancer. Does anyone have an idea about the likehood of this occuring, or any way to rule this possibility out??