HPV and tonsil cancer
I have had a swollen tonsil on one side (L) for 8 months now that seems to be getting worse and worse. The other tonsil  (R) seems to be swelling up as well recently. Mono test was neg and I have had contradicting comments from doctors. Doc at walk in said I should be referred to ENT but my GP refused to do so. He said I wasnt a 50+ yr old male with smoking or drinking problems so I shouldnt be worried....but when I said that I had read HPV could cause tonsil cancer he said he didnt see any warts. However, I thought that there are strains of HPV that dont cause warts but instead are responsible for oral and cervical cancer. Although I am monogamous now, I wasnt in my younger years, so I am afraid that I may have been exposed to a high risk strain of HPV which has led to tonsillar cancer. Does anyone have an idea about the likehood of this occuring, or any way to rule this possibility out??
The Human Papilloma Virus(HPV) has been detected in the tissue of oral and tonsil cancers and may predispose to oral cancer in the absence of tobacco and alcohol use.

But all the cases of swelling of tonsils are not cancers and your case the General Physician does not think so, if you feel that there is a chance due to your promiscuity when you were young it is advisable to also follow this up near an ENT surgeon and reconfirm that you do not have tonsil cancer.

Please also start the treatment for enlargement of tonsils near the GP as this may decrease your tensions.

Take care and have a good day!