Cancer Expert Forum
Lump

MedHelp's International Cancer forum. Questions related to Cancer will be answered by a medical expert.

Lump

My fiance had a Pap smear today and a lump the size of a dime was found on her cervix. I need a straight answer here. How bad is this? I cant find any good info on this and I'm scared.
  • jagged lump (3 replies):
    are having an ultrasound for a lump under the armpit it ...[more]
  • Lump on Head (5 replies):
    Hi. I found a small, hard,immobile, dime sized lump beh...[more]
  • Lump on cervix (1 replies):
    Hi, My last smear test was clear. Since then I visi...[more]
  • Breast Lump (1 replies):
    I'm 33 years old and found a lump. The ultrasound resul...[more]
  • Lumps (1 replies):
    I noticed a small dime sized lump on the back left side ...[more]
Dear JS1978,

Thanks for writing in.

I understand your concern.

A lump in the cervix may be benign (not of major concern, like a polyp) or cancerous or a cancer-in-situ (nascent stage for cancer). The appearance of the lump says a lot. For example, a smooth soft swelling may be a polyp, whereas an irregular friable thing is more suggestive of cancer.

I need to know the age of your fiancée because in young women it is more often benign.

I am sure that if the physician suspected anything serious, he/she must have done a biopsy for confirmation. It would provide an answer to your questions.

If you could send me further details about the lump, then I would be in a better position to help you. I would also like to know if a biopsy has been scheduled and the results of a biopsy (if one has been taken)

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be both helpful and adequate. If you have any additional concerns regarding your question, I would be happy to address them.

Thank you for using MedHelp's "Ask an Expert" Service, where we feature some of world's renowned medical experts in their fields. Millions have benefitted from our service to get personalized advice for them and for their loved ones.

Best Regards,
Dr. Indranil Ghosh
A related discussion, could i have bowel cancer and im worried was started.