Cancer Community
Prolonged Enlarged Lymp Node

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Prolonged Enlarged Lymp Node

Hello, first and foremost, thank you for taking the time to read this. I am 18/Male and have  a 3cm grape-size, hard, moveable lymph node on the left side of my neck for atleast a year and a half, now. It is very deep inside my neck, however, so deep that I need to press in to find it sometimes.

I had it examined by my doctor last year and she said it was normal, I have ordered three full blood counts ever since, one in February (2012), another in June, and one this January, they all came back normal. I also had a chest X-Ray done this month to see if there were enlarged lymph nodes inside, it came back normal as well. It's been almost two years, and I feel perfectly healthy. No symptoms whatsoever. The lymph node, although large
in size, has not grown, shrunk, or caused any pain.

Additional Information:
-Since a toddler, I have had enlarged tonsils (which at one point, where considered to be removed.)
-I am a hypochondriac, so when I found this lymph node, I continued to press on it a lot, maybe scarring it.
- The doctors I have seen showed no concern. They say lymph nodes can scar and stay
swollen for years, maybe decades, but I do not recall having an infection that could have cause them to swell
in the first place.

If blood tests and x-rays came back normal, my doctors do not show concern, I have no symptoms, it's been almost two years and nothing has changed, is there a possibility something may be wrong? Please Help.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? What other symptoms are present? It is good that the initial tests showed normal results. Enlarged lymph nodes may indeed persist and may return to its normal size after a few weeks or months. Aside from infection, other possible cause of enlarged lymph node include intake of certain medications, injury, cancer and autoimmune disorders. Additional diagnostic tests may be indicated to determine the underlying cause. Take care and do keep us posted.
Thank You for responding. Aside from the swollen lymph node, this past year, I have had absolutely no other symptoms. I feel healthy and quite energetic. If the chest x-ray and blood work came back normal, and hypothetically speaking, I do have some sort of Cancer, could that possibly mean that it is still in its early stages? Because my blood chemistry has not been altered whatsoever and I do not show signs of internal swollen lymph nodes aside from the one in my neck.