Cancer Expert Forum
Radical Neck Dissection

MedHelp's International Cancer forum. Questions related to Cancer will be answered by a medical expert.

Radical Neck Dissection

I have some questions that no one can seem to answer or choose not to.  I have a rare neuro-endrocrine carcinoma in the lymph system. They have sent the sample all over the world and I didn't even get the frequent flyer miles. 3 months ago, I underwent a radical neck dissection. 5 tumors were removed. The scare is looking good but my neck feels like I have an ACE Bandage wrapped around my throat.  I expect a recuperative period. I am so tired and weak but the tightness inside my neck really bothers me.  I am undergoing physical therapy to help stretch the muscle and break down the scar tissue but it doesn't appear to help. Ice packs have been my friend for the last 3 months.  When I approach my doctors with questions, they pooh pooh me and send me on my way. I am frustrated, and feel like I am losing it. PLEASE--can you tell me what to expect and will this feeling of being the elephant man EVER go away.
I remain.... sincerely yours----mamyc

I am sorry to hear of your symptoms.
If the scars have healed well and yet you have a constrictive sensation in your neck, then perhaps the explanation may lie in the nerve damage that inevitably occurs during such radical neck surgeries. Damaged or cut nerves may become hypersensitive or relay sensations which are interpreted in an abnormal way.
However, please discuss with your doctors and undergo a physical examination or CT scan to ensure that there is no underlying physical reason for the neck tightness.
Do you have a final diagnosis? Have you been advised any adjuvant therapy?
All the best, and God Bless!
Dr Saini
Thank you doctor for answering my question. I asked the doctors about nerve damage and they said that it is to be expected. It may heal or not.
Yes we talked about therapy ( spot radiation) but I am way too weak to have to deal with that right now. I can not drive yet and have no family. Due to the type of cancer--it's rarity--chemo won't help. Prior to surgery they gave me 3-6 mos. Now they say 2 years maybe.  This is not quality of life. I should never had the surgery. At least I was living.
Thank you again. I remain..... Sincerely mamyc