Spinal Cyst/Lesion
What is the next step when an MRI shows a spinal tumor?  Will a biopsy be ordered next to determine if its cancer?
Hi, I was involved in a car acident seven years ago, and a s a result I had an x-ray of my spine which showed what was thought to be arthritis...the next day I had an MRI w/GATO and that proved a spinal tumor.  The next step was going for a needle biopsy - I was scheduled to have it done three days later - they were unable to complete it, due to my wieght at the time.  and wasrecommended to have follow up MRI's w/GATO every 4 months - if no change insize/shape in a year, then I would have to go once a year, which is what I try to sontinue with - there have not been any changes since - thankfully!!!  In answer to your question the next step should be a needle biopsy (done in a hospital) Out-patient.  Hope this helps!
By the way, how did you come across knowing that you have this?
Hi.  If a spinal tumor is seen on MRI, a biopsy should ideally be done for as long as the tumor is accessible.  Alternatively, if a mass is present in another part of the body which is more reachable, then this could be biopsied instead.  If the spinal tumor is causing symptoms of spinal cord compression, some other procedure may need to be done to relieve the compression and stabilize the spine (e.g. surgical removal of the mass, instead of merely doing a biopsy).