Cancer Community
Stomach Cancer?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Stomach Cancer?

For the past year I've been trying to find out what's wrong with me, but evidently, have failed, and so my last thought was stomach cancer; I highly doubt it, because we all know that 18 year olds are rarely affected - but not impossible. This is why I think *maybe*:

For a whole year I've had upper abdominal pains, especially on my left side where the stomach is located. This pain is generally an ache or a stab, which lasts between 5 minutes to 5 hours. In the past few weeks, it has become somewhat worse. Along with this, is constant nausea, tiredness, a loss of appetite and as a result, significant weight loss. Again, these symptoms have been worse in previous weeks, as well as the NEW addition of actually vomiting, when I try and eat.

In the past I've seen numeorus doctors. They ruled out gallstones with an ultrasounds and said my liver was fine (Jan 2010). I was put on an eight week trial of Nexium for possible stomach ulcers, but nothing changed so the doctor said it wasn't that either. He doesn't believe it's acid reflux either. I was then treated for IBS, but again, no change. (Feb - April 2010). I finally saw a specialist (May 2010), and he said to wait it out for six months - and I have, and it's getting worse quickly.

Should I go back and do something about it? Could I be right in believing it's stomach cancer? I doubt it is, but it's the only thing that hasn't been ruled out that matches my problems, that I can think of. Have you had similar experiences? Please help me. I don't know what else to do.
Tags: help
I highly doubt this is cancer given your age.  Most of the patients I have taken care of were in their 40's to 50's and had a heavy history of drinking and/or smoking that had stomach cancer.  

What is your diet like?  Smoker or alcohol drinker?  

I would recommend returning to the specialist and request an Upper Endoscopy.  This is a scope that allows the physician to view the esophagus, stomach and small intestine.  

Did you get a HIDA scan to check the functioning of the gallbladder?  If you didn't, I would recommend getting one.  I know you had the US that showed no gallstones, but that does NOT tell you how the gallbladder is functioning.  

In my opinion, it does NOT sound like IBS.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

I also probably should have mentioned that we have a family history of stomach cancer and stomach ulcers, which is also what got me to thinking this.

My diet, when I do manage to get it down, is good - no worries there. I do not smoke, and drink alcohol occasionally.

My specialist told me about an endoscopy but he said he didn't think I needed one, so instead, told me to wait. Do you really think it's worthwhile going back? What kind of things would they be looking for when/if they do the endoscopy?

They made no mentions of any HIDA. They just said, because it wasn't showing anything on the ultrasound, the bile duct & gallbladder were fine. I'll make mention of this when/if I go back to the specialist, which is likely.

Thanks again.
Please go back and get this sorted.  When he/she does the endo he/she can visualize the lining of the esophagus, stomach and small intestine for any abnormalities.  Plus, a biopsy can be obtained at that time.  I would discuss the possibility of getting a HIDA scan and doing an endoscopy with the physician.  
I've booked in for an appointment with him and will discuss these tests. I though, had a blood test the other day and the results, from what I remember told me that I had anaemia. I wasn't able to discuss this though, I just rang up about it. Is that bad?
Anemia is a very common problem, especially with women.  The REASON for the anemia should be investigated.  Depending on lab counts, it CAN be a small issue or a big issue.  

Have you been prescribed iron for the anemia?  

In my opinion, the anemia could be related to the other symptoms you are having.  
Yeah I wasn't able to get the details - like how bad the anaemia was, because I only asked for the results over the phone from the receptionist, but the doctor wanted to see me about it so I've also got an appointment booked in with them as well as the specialist. And because of that, I haven't been prescribed anything no - not yet at least.

Ahh all this is causing so much worry!!
Sounds like you are on the right track.  It is difficult to wait though.  
Biposies came back from the endoscopy & showed that I have a malignant tumour in the stomach. Thanks a lot for your advice over recent weeks, I really appreciate it.

Cheers
I am shocked that they found a malignant tumor, wow; you are only 17.  

Oh, dear, are you ok?  
The doctor was surprised too that this was the outcome. He said it was really rare in someone my age, but he then concluded that with the point that cancer doesn't discriminate. They're starting a course of chemoradiation in a few weeks and surgery after that, once my cycle for freezing eggs is over. I'm not alright, no, but I need to stay positive about this :]