Cancer Community
Symptoms - Fever, Lymph Nodes, Exhaustion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Hello:

I have had a history of swollen lymph nodes in my neck, as well as mono at age 16 (I am now 40). Over the last two months, I have had the lymph nodes increase again but this time they have not gone down.  I also started with severe chills and a low body temp.  Over the last few weeks, this temp has evolved into a low-grade fever.  I am also very tired and have a dull ache on my left side of my upper back.  I have seen many physicians and my WBC and SED rate tests came back normal, as well as two mono tests and a Lyme's disease test.  A chest and side x-ray came back normal (back wasn't done).  EKG came back normal.  I also had lumps in my breast on the left side (same side as back pain and swollen gland).  I had a mammogram and two ultrasounds done - NORMAL.  Still, I saw an ENT nurse yesterday and she told me the SED rate (normal) indicated it probably wasn't lymphoma. She wants to do a neck ultrasound next week.  I do not know what to even ask for anymore at the doctor's office.  I have no insurance so this is truly a burden.  I keep thinking this back pain is connected to whatever is going on.  The fever and lymph gland swelling should be signs of SOMETHING but NOTHING is showing up.  I don't know what else to do, what other tests to ask for, but I feel like I'm progressively getting worse and I definitely don't want to die if I can stop the progression.   Please help.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? What other symptoms are present? It is good that initial diagnostic tests were fine. Swollen lymph nodes may be attributed to infection, immune or autoimmune disorders, malignancy and even certain medication side effect. Additional diagnostic tests may need to be done to determine the underlying issue. Take care and do keep us posted with the ultrasound result.  
Thanks for your response!  I am exactly the same two weeks later...fevers have let up, but my swollen gland persists as does the very unwell feeling.  I have gone to a new dr. (insured finally) who told me she was QUITE alarmed that I have not had a response to three courses of antibiotics and have had swollen glands for so long.  She says I definitely need a biopsy.  My insurance requires an ultrasound first, so I decided to keep my out-of-pocket original ultrasound appointment (tomorrow) in Wisconsin as well as the ultrasound appointment that is now covered (in two days) in Iowa.  After that, she will schedule a biopsy.  She says that it is enough of the medicating; let's see what is going on inside.  I feel some relief that someone will finally check into this.  The gland in my breast on the same side also persists.  I have emailed my symptoms to a "friend of a friend", an oncologist in Chicago, who told me he is 99% certain it is lymphoma!  That alarms me, but also concerns me he would state that without ever having met me.  I feel very sick but continue walking a few days a week, working, resting, and eating well.  Things in my favor that this is NOT lymphoma are NO weight loss in the last several weeks, no itching, no more fevers, normal blood counts, good chest x-ray.  My son also has had swollen glands and has been run down for a time, but he bounces back pretty well.  Thanks for your response and YES I will continue updating here.
Additionally - my symptoms do include back pain on the same side as the glands.  I also have small hard nodules in my same side forearm that are painful when touched.  I am just mainly exhausted and miserable all of the time.  I did have mono as a teen which I realize can contribute to lymphoma.  
I have had 2 ultrasounds on my neck this week....different clinics...the first one I do have results from - the radiologist said she's not a dr., but anything under 2 cm is generally not worried about, and mine is 1.4 cm.  She said, 'I wouldn't lose any sleep over it."  The nurse practitioner's assistant called and said "everything is fine".  However, I have no answers to the swelling for months, or how I am feeling.  
  The other ultrasound hasn't given me any results yet.  I do know the radiologist at that clinic gave no information away, but did ask me, "Have you been sick lately? Sometimes the lymph nodes swell when we are sick".  Maybe it's wishful thinking, but that leads me to believe she saw nothing of major concern and was looking toward a more non-cancerous cause.  Either way, I'm a little stressed.  I have felt a wee bit better, but no relief from the darn lymph node.  I was told by the second clinic that I won't hear anything until next week at some time.  I should take solace in the fact that the first clinic did not see anything outrageously wrong...yet I worry.