Cancer Community
Trachea Cancer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Trachea Cancer

My mothert in law has been diagnoised with Trachea cancer. She has started spitting up blood and having sometimes a hard time to swallow. She has brought in hospice but we still do not know the stage. Can anyone give me an insight on what to expect. What people think her stage is or how bad she is. She has refused treatment. Any answers would be appreciated.
I am sorry to hear about your mother in law. i recently lost my father to oesophageal cancer.
He ha d complained of problems for 2-3 years before he was finally sent for a scope which showed a large inoperable tumour. He had intensive chemo and radiotherapy but a year to the day he was diagnosed he was told the tumour was still there and had grown, he died 3 months later.
He was extremely fit and fought hard to keep going.
At the point of his first diagnosis he was unable to swallow very well and found foods such as bread, chicken etc impossible to eat. Eventually he could only swallow liquids in very minute quantities and was tube fed for several months.
Without tube feeding it would have been likely that much of his fluids and saliva may have ended up in is lungs and eventually a chest infection would have killed him.
But as he refused to take any fluids orally it was eventually the size of the tumour that prevented air entry and he could no longer breathe properly...he was ok until the day he died..he had even hoped to go home that day...but suddenly his trachea was blocked so much he couldnt breathe and the doctors heavily sedated him and he slowly went to sleep and didnt wake up. He was so brave and fought to stay alive until i could be with him...and died 3 mins after i arrived. My dad survived for 15months after diagnosis, but bear in mind he had a lot of treatment after diagnosis. I know all cases are different but hope this might be of help.
PS. Sorry this turned into a little bit of therapy for me!!!
Hi Mitzi -  so sorry to hear about your mother in law.  My mother also has trachea cancer but did got through treatment.  The tumur was so big that they removed some of it, and she had to have a tracheostomy put in.  That was about 14 months ago.  She has gone through radiation and chemotherapy.  We are unsure if the treatment is working, but we felt when we heard the news in Feb 08 that her months were numbered, she has surprised us.  I can tell you that this is a very ugly disease.  She is in pain all the time and her coughing is tough to bear.  I wish I had better news, but it has been the hardest 14 mths of my life, and my dad passed a month ago from a lung disease.  I sometimes wonder if the treatment that mom has gone through is worth the pain and sickness that radiation and chemo has caused her.  Your mother in law has apparantly made the right decision for her.  I will keep you guys in my prayers -  stay strong!
What are your mom's symptoms my mother in law is coughing up blood and now has a awful cough. My hubby is getting ready to go overseas and I will be caring for her.