Cancer Community
Unexplained Weight Loss

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Unexplained Weight Loss

I am a rather anxious person by nature, but I have developed a great deal of anxiety over the last 5-6 months regarding my health.... I have been losing weight rapidly without trying and when I look online for reasons for this, cancer comes up every time.  I am in a bit of a panic about it.

I have had various stomach issues over the years and lately headaches, pain in my shoulder and hip, numbness in my leg, loss of appetite, bloating and gas, random pain throughout my body, watery right eye at random times and now unexplained weight loss. I have had CBC blood tests, a chem panel, an abdominal/pelvic CT scan, a chest x-ray, an endoscopy, an abdominal ultrasound, a vaginal ultrasound that looked at ovaries, and a mammogram. yesterday I went for a brain MRI (no results yet) I have been to a family doctor, an internist, a physical therapist, a naturopath, a gastroenterologist, now a therapist. All of my tests have been normal, in fact, my numbers have been terrific and all of these professionals tell me that I am healthy and that anxiety is causing the weight loss. I am struggling to concentrate in my daily life due to the anxiety I feel about my health.  I am losing weight rapidly, about a pound every day or so.  I am definitely not eating as much as I used to, but I when I do keep my calories up, nothing seems to change or I still lose weight.  I feel like all the doctors are tired of me coming to them with this.  They want me to take meds for anxiety, which I do not want to do.  I don't know if I should keep pushing for more tests or if I should trust the doctors I have worked with... the naturopath can give me herbal remedies for anxiety and I am looking into acupuncture, but I can't get the feeling out of my head that something is wrong.  I have never lost weight like this before.  I am down to 122 ... if I go down any more I will look like a skeleton!

I am not sure if I should trust all of these doctors or if I should keep pressing. Every website I look at says cancer. Can I have cancer?
Wow...my heart goes out to you. I completely understand where you are coming from.  With my symptoms, the c word always come up too.  I am similar to you as I have been to almost every type of doctor.  I developed severe anxiety last june...right when my symptoms began to get worse.  I never wanted to be on any meds but recently I decided to take zoloft.  I can't take the obsessive thought of the c word and death...I had no other choice. All my labs have been perfect and all drs kept saying is I am fine and healthy.  Luckily after seeing a nephrologist, he was the only one to find the paraprotein in my blood.  I don't know the specific test, but speak with a dr about it.  All other test have been normal.  I have every symptom you have on top of some.  I only have not lost any weight really.  I lost about 10lbs last year but I think that was because I stopped drinking sodas.  I gained the 10lbs back recently as I was pregnant, but miscarried about 4 wks in jan.  I am always bloated though.  I wish you well.