Cancer Community
What's causing high iron levels???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

What's causing high iron levels???

I was wondering if anybody could help.  My 60yr old Dad went for a full medical check up.  His iron levels came back very high ranging from 1000-1500 over the course of a month.  The Dr's have ruled out hemochromotosis via a blood test (even though his sister died from that disease)

He was sent to have an MRI, CT scan, ultrasound of the abdominal and a red cell study.  They detected a small lump deep inside his lung and a lesion around 2cm on his liver.  We are very scared that this is Liver Metastases.  He shows no signs of symptoms of being unwell.  He hasn't lost any weight and is carrying on doing everything he normally does.  The Dr's said they cannot biopsy the lump in the lung as it is too deep, and they do not want to biopsy the liver just yet.  They have also told us that the lump on his liver IS NOT a hemangioma.  They told us not to worry and to repeat the scan in two months time.  It's very hard not to worry when the word cancer comes up by googling 'lump lung liver'.  

The Dr's also asked my Dad if he had been exposed to tuberculosis.  He had been exposed 10years ago, as my grandfather died from this.  He also had liver problems.  

If it's not Hemochromotosis, is it possible that this could be some other genetic liver disorder?  Given that 2 direct family members died from this?  

His last blood test also came up with an abnormal liver function.  What does this mean?  Is it likely to be cancer?  We are not being given answers fast enough.

Please help.