Almost every morning when I wake up, I blow my nose and blood comes out. What could be the reason for this? I have two very small, clearish bumps on my nose near my eye, which have appeared somewhat recently. Could this have anything to do with it?
Hi. There are many possible reasons for having bloody discharge from the nose. Among the probable causes (in adults) are the following:
1. Traumatic injury to the nasal lining. Blowing one's nose too hard can injure blood vessels in the nasal mucosa.
2. Hypertension. Spikes of high blood pressure can also cause blood vessels in the nose to burst.
3. Bleeding nasal polyps. These are non-cancerous lumps inside the nose which frequently occur in people with chronic sinusitis.
4. Blood diseases. Bleeding from the nose and gums may be an initial manifestation of a disease involving the blood or one of its components.
5. Cancer. Certain cancers (example: nasopharyngeal carcinoma) can present with nose bleed.
You would need to see a doctor (preferably an ENT specialist) to determine which condition you have. I can't tell you what those "clearish bumps" on your nose are without actually having examined them. It really would be best if you can have yourself evaluated by a doctor as soon as possible.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.