Cancer Community
brain tumor optimism???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

brain tumor optimism???

I recently had a shocker bringing my 70 year old dad to the emergency room.  He had some numbness/weakness, and sort of a headache.  The catscan showed a 'mass' in his brain, and he is scheduled for more tests.  I am devastated about this. Is there anything optimistic that a doctor can tell me, if there are other possibilities than a brain tumor, or if it is a tumor, is it possible that is is slow growing and he can have years left?
tumors don't always mean cancer..I know someone who had a tumor on the temple and it wans't cancer and they are fine..hope this helps good luck

There can be quite a few possibilities here it can be a brain cyst or a brain abcess (abscess) or even a benign brain tumor. It can also be a malignant brain tumor. I can understand your anxiety and concern for your father but please relax and wait for the doctor to make the diagnosis and then decide the best course of action. Please keep us posted.