Cancer Community
giant-cell tumor in finger

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

giant-cell tumor in finger

3040459?1213540851
hey guys,

i'm new to the community. i am in real need of help. my mom has had visible hard lump growing on her pinky finger the past month. it is about 1cm long and protrudes from the inner portion of her pinky slightly above the  main joint where the finger bents (not the joint by the nail). it is painless and i went online and searched  and searched and i'm pretty sure it is a giant-cell tumor, which is supposed to be benign.

my question is, do you think she should get it removed or just let it be. the problem is, it seems to be a pretty invasive procedure and my mom would rather just let it be if it is going to be benign. i'm just not sure what to do about it. btw, i have attached a picture (from some research paper) that gives  a pretty good look at what it looks like.

if anyone can offer me any insight, i will be forever in debt!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi.  The only way for us to be sure that the lump on your mom's finger is a giant cell tumor is to have a biopsy done. The diagnosis of "giant cell tumor" is a tissue diagnosis and cannot be arrived at by the gross appearance of the lump alone.  So the question of whether to have it removed or not is premature.  Let us first determine for certain what that lump really is, then we can decide about the appropriate treatment.

The best thing to do is to consult a doctor and have that lump examined.
Just saw your post. You may have dealt with your problem already. But I had exactly the same kind of lump, which was giant cell tumour,and I had it removed.I was very worried as I am  piano teacher, and worried it might affect the joint and stop me playing piano. But it was fine, and didn`t take too long to recover.Hope this helps.
I just sow your post and I'm dealing with the same tumor on my index finger for the past year. I would like to be more informed about your treatment, I don't want to loose my finger.
I just had what appears to be a giant cell tumor removed from my right middle finger today.  It is going out for biopsy because it didn't look quite right according to my doctor.  I will know next week I think.  The surgery was fine and I have the sutures removed next Friday. I will report back when I have the results.
wow,,i got similar issue right now that kinds came out of nowhere!!
mine is right on my index finger right by the first joint there.
is is sore if i mess with it,and i dont know what to think of it!
i thought maby it was or is a type of cyst,,like a small gangleonic cyst?
mine is not as big as your moms,but is close to the same place and same idea.
...please let us know what you find out!!
I had a "giant cell tumor" on my right index finger for the past two year which I had removed on 13 May 2009.  The reason for my resecetion is it doubled in size and it was painful and stiff in the morning.  So far my post surgical recovery has not been so bad some throbbing pain to the finger the first 72 hours.  Some noted swelling and bruising to the site which is not uncommon after surgery.  I still have the sutures in place I will have my post op follow up 21 May 2009. I will post pics of my operative site next time.  Questions are welcome!
P.S.  Path results are still pending.    
well i had either a gct (giant cell tumor) or a humangeum. i am just 14 going on 15 and its been on my right pinkie for 2 years but its been growing so i went  to get a test then my doc told me to get an xray so i went then after all that i had to to get an mri then the doc gave me a surgery dat which was yesterday May 19 2009 he sed first he wood do a biopsy during the surgery but i was knocked out by the anesthesia and wen i woke up i had a soft cast around my right hand and pain in my pinkie i cant see how it looks now till next friday when they take the stitches nd cast off. i am just relieved that that ball is gone i just have to keep my hand up or it will swell up so my mom got a  sling for me i go back to school next tuesday so no work for me hahaha ill put pics up later. any questions just ask
I had the exact same thing on my right middle finger. I had it for over twenty years. Always thought it was a big wart. The Doctor thought differently. It was removed about three and a half weeks ago. (It was a quick outpatient procedure requiring only local anesthetic.) Turned out it was a giant cell tumor. I had the stitches out yesterday and it is doing fine. The skin is a bit tight because the mass was so large but I am told with physical therapy it will quickly stretch and strengthen. I would have just left it alone after all this time but was told that it was possible for this condition to cause bone loss and/or damage. Soooo - talk to an Orthopaedic surgeon before deciding to just leave it be.
I had a giant cell tumor removed a few months ago.  However, there is  now a lump which is at least as big as the giant cell tumor was, even more "lumpy" and discolored.  The surgeon said it was scar tissue but it was evident when the bandages were removed a few days after surgery.  Should I have a second opinion?  Should I have this lump removed as well?  Any help would be gratefully accepted.
Volunteer7

I had a fast appearring painful lump on one finger which I had surgery for a couple of years ago.  It was a ganglion cyst whihc is common especially if a person has gout.  I have smaller ones on other fingers, but nothing that requires surgery at this time.

I also had a pinkie finger that broke when it was bent backwards some.  It required surgery by a hand surgeon to repair it.  He found that it had a tumor that he could remove at the time fo the break.  The tumor (I think it was called an endocartoma) weakened teh bone cuasing it to break.  So, I had another surgery 4 months later after it healed some to remove the tumor.  I had to wear a splint & do physical therapy for my hand to aid the healing process.

Now, seven years later, the tumor is back & twice as big.  It was benign before and probably still is.  The problem now is that I have no insurance and can't afford to pay fo a doctor.  I don't qualify for medical assistance.  The finger is hurting some along with getting stiff.  I am at a loss for what to do & if it could be something serious now.  I have a low paying physical job with no benefits.  
I now think I have a giant cell tumor on my right pinky finger on the knuckle.  I thought it was a wart and froze it with Compund W product, to only have it come back sore and red. Now my joint in my finger is starting to hurt.  I don't want to get misdiagnosed when I go to the doctor.  Does anyone know what type of Dr. I should go to 1st ( Orthopedic, Dermatolgist etc.)
You can see an Orthopedic Specialist IF you are VERY sure this is one.  I can't see how you would know without having it biopsied first.

My recommendation would be going to your PCP/Family Physician, let him/her assess it and request an x-ray.  If the x-ray comes back positive for GCT (Giant Cell Tumor) then proceed to an Ortho Specialist.  

I too had a fast appearing lump on my right middle finger.     Went to a hand surgeon who  did xrays,   withdrew fluid to see if it was a cyst, and determined it was a large cell tumor   - 98% benign.    Surgical Removal the next week  went well,,  no pain, full flexibility, etc.    When I went to have my stitches removed last week the pathology report just came in and I  found out I was the other 2%!!   Now am going to Sloan Kettering for further treatment.    SO PLEASE DO NOT WAIT.      Have someone look at that lump ASAP
I read your comment about the giant cell tumor. You said is was a quick procedure. I am having one removed from my little finger. It is done at the drs. office. I am nervous about it. Can you give me insight? Thanks. ***@****  
In 1996 my mother died of breast cancer. At that time, we were told that my mom was only the 3rd person in (US?) history to ever have a breast cancer tumor on her left ring finger, on the backside of the first knuckle behind her fingernail. She had to have the first knuckle on that finger removed. Come to find out, that tumor was a sign that the cancer had
metastasized. She never stood a chance. This was her 2nd bout with breast cancer. Her 1st was when/right after I was born. She lived 25 more years, only having had a radical mastectomy. She never had chemo then.  I am now 2 years older than mom was when she was 1st diagnosed and haven't ever really been checked. Would love to now, but I have no insurance and am on unemployment here in Oregon. Yay me.
Hi. I had a bump growing in my index finger for about 2 years and it was surgically removed Wed. 2/1/12. It is now 3 days later and I'm in the worst pain ever! Sharp burning throbbing pain ever.don't know what to do? Did any of u experience this much pain after
In 1991 I had a  tiny pearly lump between my third and fourth finger. It never hurt. It turned out to be fibrous histiocytoma sarcoma..stage 4. In two months time, it spread up my hand to the wrist, where I had to have my hand amputated, It also metasized to my lung.  Anyone have something like this?
I had a giant cell tumor removed from my L index finger 25 years ago. I was 12 years old. I have not had any problems with my hand since. The doctor who removed the tumor told my mother said it could come back anywhere at any time.
When I was 19 I started growing a lump on my head that started growing in the same manner as on my finger. Started with a sharp pain then the lump appeared. Pain when it grows then not hurting at all. I'm concerned it is the same thing. I am having it removed. The doctors think it's a cyst even thought I have told them I had a giant cell tumor on my hand. I don't know if I should be concerned or not.
you have to have it removed left untreated it can cause a cancer.. some of these tumors are maglinant...  so dont just let it be..   Mine flared up at thanks giving two years ago and I didnt do anything about it untill janurary..  (saw a doc)  then I went for an MRI  had surgery on valentines day.. the tumor was burrowed into my bone.  
family you need an mri
I have had a giant cell tumor removed from my right thumb two weeks ago. Now I'm worried it might come back. I'm Dutch and I read about possible amputation as a final solution on a Dutch website. On this page, it seems like most people have a good outcome. If you know it's a giant cell tumor, I wouldn't wait and have it removed before it can do any (more) damage.
Giant cysts on fingers once surgically removed can grow back again.  I had surgery done on my index finger one year ago and find it growing back again in an area near the original cyst.
Hi do you have a pic of how big yours was?? I need to have mine removed in October and I was just wondering how long it will take to heal after surgery. Mine is quite big, looks like two big bump on my index fingers.