Cancer Community
lump after surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

lump after surgery

Dear Doctor, several months ago I found a lump at the base of my neck, I had two nodes removed and was diagnosed with NHL. Half way through treatment  PET scan showed complete remission however just before my last treatment I noticed a hard lump under the proximal end of my scar which is half way between my sternum and ac joint, about an inch above my clavicle. My oncologist suggested it was scar tissue aggravated by activity and said I needn't worry about a biopsy. After a few days in bed following my final session of chemotherapy the lump had gone completely.

Last week I had to lift some heavy objects and noticed the lump again the following day, I thought nothing of it and ignored it, a couple of days later the whole area had swollen up overnight and become quite painfull to touch. I am also in some pain when I move my arm or neck. I can't feel a definitive lump anymore as the whole area is quite hard and sore. the swelling is noticeable when I look in the mirror. I called my oncologist and he still thinks it is scar tissue related, should I seek a second opinion?
Hi.
NHL can recur after treatment.
Have you had a blood exam, say an LDH?
If the level is elevated, there might be a recurrence.
You can always ask for a second opinion to have a better picture of your condition.
Good luck.
thanks Andrew, I did recently have an LDH and it was normal, I understand that NHL can recur after treatment but I had my last session less than a fortnight ago, which is why I am confused as to what this could be, as it is my understanding that a recurrence during treatment such is this is highly rare.
Hi.
Have your oncologist considered refractory NHL where the lymph nodes would reappear several days/weeks after chemotherapy?
I strongly suggest for you to have the swollen area examined either by your oncologist or another physician.
he checked it and I got a ultrasound. No lymph nodes were present just a lot of "soft tissue swelling" according to the radiologist
Hi.
That's good to know.
Maybe you strained your muscle that caused the swelling.
But be always vigilant as NHL can recur.
Best of luck to you.