Cancer Community
lymph nodes in neck swollen for 1 year

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

lymph nodes in neck swollen for 1 year

Hi, Im a 35 year old female who has had swollen lymph nodes in my neck for a year. I have been hospitalized due to the sizes of the more times than I can count, I finally found an ENT who performed a biopsy. He removed three lymph nodes that were 2-3cm and I was told that they were everywhere. When this first started it was isolated to the left side and know has moved to the right side as well. The biopsies came back negative for any infections or lymphoma, but I still have many large ones present. I have been tested for everything as far as blood disorders, HIV/Aids, and and types of fungus. My ENT thinks that I may have some type of soft tissue cancer in the neck area and wants me to be admitted to a university for more biopsies. I live in a rural area and I am sick of being a pin cushion, but I need some answers. My youngest son is having brain surgery this month in New York so I won't be admitted untill the end of Feb. for more testing. Does anyone have any theories as to what may be going on, if so the imput would be greatly appreciated!
Avatar_dr_f_tn

I understand how frustrating this is for you.

May I ask what the indication is for your son's sugery?

With regards to your condition,the growths have been present for a year?

Any history of travel?

Have you been exposed to anyone with tuberculosis?

Was tuberculosis testing done lke PPD or as  TB culture done when the biopsy was taken?

Any moles in the body that sudeenly changed in appearance

Any other palpable mass in the groin or armpits?

Any changes in the breast?

Difficulty in swallowing?

I suggest you also seek  consult with  a medical oncologist . Neck masses may be due to more benign disorders like infections of the lymph nodes and surounding skin.However more serious underlying conditions like cancer has to be ruled out.

I suggest you stay calm and try to stay positive.

Update us when you have further consults done.
My son has Arnold Chiari Malformation Type ! and his cerebral tonsills have herniated past C2, he is havind seizures know , memory and sensory loss, as well as fine motor skills, My mother and I also have this. I have no history of travel and have tested negative for TB. I have had one mass in the left armpit removed and a mass removed(lymph node) in the right arm junction at the elbow. I did have surgery in July of 06 to untether my spinal cord. I developed hospital aquirred staph, and had 2 debridements and five months of IV antibiotics before the infection was completely cleared. I was cleared from that in Dec. of 06 and the lymph nodes swelling began in Feb of 07. The node removed under my left arm was abscessed, during the course of antibiotic treatment I became neutropenic WBC was 1.2. None of the IC doctors or other specialists think that these swellings are realted since the biopsies came back negative for any kind of infection. Like I said I am in a rural area and have to travel for any king of good medical advice but I have always been compliant. I will be admitted to UAB in Birmingham so I hope they can fins some answers for me. I have also experienced horrible fatigue, with night sweats , and some weight loss but not extreme. Thank you for the responce back, I am staying calm and have stayed extremely positive throughout this entire ordeal, I am just trying to find some answeres and some relief ! Thanks again!
Avatar_dr_f_tn

I commend you for being strong inspite of all these.

Let us hope for the best as you wait for further evaluation.Associated symptoms like night sweats, a history of neutropenia, and weight loss may signal some decrease in immune response brought about by certain conditions.

Continue to be proactive and update us for anything.

All the best.