Cancer Community
necrotic lymp nodes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

necrotic lymp nodes

Can you please tell me if can be anything else then metastaz?
This is the CT scan result:
FINDINGS:

The reference exams are dating back to November 1, 2009.

Patient is status post bilateral upper lobectomies for lung cancer. Superolaterally and to the left of the pulmonary artery trunk, progressed necrotic lymph nodes are noted, worrisome for metastasis.
PET imaging or biopsy are the options.stable left infrahilar 9 mm lymph node is seen.stable post-operative changes involving the lateral aspect of the right lower lobe is seen.no suspicious pulmonary nodules or masses seen.No pleural or pericardial effusion seen.

Stable small hypervascular lesions of segment IV and VIII of the liver is again noted, most likely related to benign etiology such as small FNH/hemangiomas.atherosclerotic disease of the abdominal aorta is seen. degenerative disc disease changes of the lower lumbar spine is seen.The rest of exam is unremarkable.

IMPRESSION:

Mildly progressed necrotic lymphadenopathy superolaterally and to the left of the pulmonary artery trunk, worrisome for metastasis.PET imaging or biopsy are the options.
Hopefully this was followed up; well, should have definitely been followed up.  As the impression states "worrisome for metastasis. PET imaging or biopsy are the options."

Is this for you or someone else?  
It is for my husband. He had two contralateral lobs removed in 12.2009 and 06.2010. He is scheduled for PET tomorrow. He is 50 years old and so far in a good health. No fever, wieght lost, cough or pain.
I forgot to mention that the first biopsy for the mediastinal lymph nodes was negativ and also the all the lymph nodes removed with the lung lobs. All his blood test are normal. The first tumor was 4,5X3,5 cm and the second one was 1X1,5 cm. It was considered a second primary tumor. The tayp of cancer was squamos cell.
Thank you for reply.
Well, he needs this PET scan as the CT scan report pretty much says this is suspicious of metastasis; doesn't say it IS metastasis.  

Get the PET scan and go from there.  
Thank you so much for encouragement. He did the PET scan and now we are waiting for result.Still hope for a good one.
Keep us posted about the outcome.
We've got the PET scan resut. It is pozitive for one single limph node. Nothing else seen suspicios in his body. Don't know what to think.
Next week we will see a surgon recomended by the oncologist but not sure if onother surgery is posible in his situation.
Well, at least this is localized; that's good.  

Well, I assume this probably will be biopsied and then proceed from there.

Do keep us posted.