Cancer Community
seroma after surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

seroma after surgery

I am new to this forum. I have just had my second surgery for thyroid cancer and have a seroma. I have had to had it drained 3 times which is more of  an nusaince  than anything else. My doctor seemed to think I did this to myself by doing too much to soon. I didn't do anything but sit on a couch and knit. I think the problem is he should have put a drain in. He took out 36 lymph nodes on the right side of my neck. Luckily there was only cancer in 2 but recovery has been so slow because of the seroma. There is no infection thank goodness. I have read about seromas being common after breast surgery but not after neck ressection. Has anyone else ever experienced this?
Hi Yvette,
Seroma can develop after an extensive surgery is done.  Usually, a drain is placed so that accumulation of excess fluid is decreased.  Seroma can be secondarily infected.  That is the reason why it should be drained adequately.
I suggest you go back to your doctor.  Pressure dressing can help, but make sure it will not impinge on the vital structures on the neck.  
Take care.
I had my thyroidectomy on October 24, 2008 and I too developed a seroma. Had it drained three times and it is SLOWLY going down by the area is tight and my voice is strained.  It just a miserable thing and my RAI had to be postponed until January because of it.  A real pain.  Yvette let me know how you are doing.
My husband had an extensive lymphadenectomy in his axillary region where they removed 27 lymph nodes.  It took over a year for the seroma to resolve.  It is not your fault and you could do nothing to prevent it.  Your body's natural drainage system has been removed and only time will help.  My husband had two separate drains.  Compression is only a temporary fix.  He had 2 episodes of cellulitus because nutrient cannot get to tissue through all the fluid.  Be watchful of your site for secondary infection, get frequent drainage or get another drain put in and use massage and compression in any way you can for relief.  And, have hope that it will eventually resolve.
(This does not relate to cancer, but wondered if anyone could help) - Only just found these postings now... I am interested to know if any of you who experienced your seromas eventually had them disappear?  I had an inguinal hernia repair about 8 months ago.. Started noticing another lump forming about a month after surgery and by 2 months after surgery the seroma had pushed through completely into my inguinal area - looked as though the hernia was back.  Had 2 ultrasounds, 1 cat scan and 3 drainages done... Each time it was drained they got more and more out, however it has never completely gone away.  Surgeon suggests that we should do another surgery :(  Just interested to know if any of your symptoms improved with time?  Any further info would be appreciated.
Yes! I had surgery two weeks ago on April 25th, 2012. My neck looks like a bullfrog. It's not obstructing my breathing but it's a big hematoma and seroma. The surgeon tried to drain it a little and it didn't help, he said it would resolve on its own.. until then, I'm wearing a lot of scarves.
Hi, Just had thyroidectomy July 10, 2012 and  have seroma, had the same problem with breast lumpectomy 2 years ago, the seroma grew until the stitches separated and had a gaping wound, out came all of the fluids for several days until the wound closed on its own.  Now I have keloids on my breast.  It was a horrible experience and I am deathly afraid the same will happen to my neck.
Found the solution to my seroma.  I was very miserable and I felt hopeless.  I was willing to try anything and finally I tried NOPALEA.  To my surprise IT WORKED! the seroma subsided considerably after 6 days.  I am very satisfied and I am continuing to drink it until I get better.