white spot on tongue
I recently noticed a small white spot/lump on the left side of my tongue and I am schedule to see my dentist in a day or so.  I am 44 and have schewed tobacco and drank for the better part of 20 yrs.  I am well aware of risks of oral cancer and have recently stop using both.  Was wondering if there are any other results that could possibly exist versus my focusing on the most probable, oral cancer.  Realy scared and worried.

You need to get a clinical examination from a certified physician. Nothing can be said with surety without having a look at the lesions.

What dental complaints are you having? Are you on any antibiotics or any other medications currently?

This could be a fungal infection or due to some dietary deficiency.

Let us know about what your doctor tells you.

Post us if you have any other doubts.

Regards.
I went for a dental exam and the dentist was able to wipe with a guaze which he said made him less suspicious that it is anything serious (I still see a while spot there!).  Given my history of alcohol and tobacco (snuff) use the past 20 years I am scared of anything abnormal especially since everything I read on line  given my history damn near predisposes me to oral cx.  Now have a oral surgean consult scheduled in 2 weeks.  Going to be a long 2 weeks...