Cardiac Rehabilitation Community
Extreme Tiredness

Cardiac Rehabilitation (Rehab) is a medically supervised program that helps improve heart function for people who have heart disease, have suffered a heart attack or have certain heart disorders.. Rehab programs include monitored exercise training, education on heart healthy living, and counseling to reduce stress and help you return to an active life. The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Cardiac Rehabilitation patients, their loved ones, and caregivers. Topics in the community include: tracking success, diet-nutrition tips; family issues, research, recovering from surgery.

Extreme Tiredness

I had a heart attack a month and a half ago. I had a stent put in the LAD.  I am on all of the usual meds:aspirin, Effient, Toprol, Lipitor.  I started cardio rehab yesterday.  I did the treadmill and stationary bike.  I did an arm bike and climbed stairs to a rythym.  I got dizzy during the workout and reported all to the attendants.  I was being monitored and my heart beat and blood pressure were normal.  When I came home I had to nap.  This morning I had to nap again.  I feel very sleepy.  My muscles do not ache.  I could sleep all day.  Should I just put this reaction to the start of the exercise program.  Do others experience this tiredness?
Yes we all have suffered the effects of BB but, if I understand correctly, you has already been on BB for more than 1 month, and during this time you have not shown this tiredness. Is this correct?? How long since your  dose has been changed? If there are 10 days or more, and you have not feel the tiredness before, then I would say that the culprit is the workout.

But, if the cardiac rehab. program is properly done, I do not think that you should be exhausted after day 1.

Do they make you an effort test, before start the program to fix you a maximum heart rate to be stick to, during the initial phase of the program?

If you got it, was the time between BB intake and the workout session, similar to the time between BB intake and the effort test?

Were your ECG continuously monitored during exercise?

How long the workout session was?
Do you have any other medical condition? Diabetes?, Kidney issues?
How well physically fitted are you?

As I said, I do not think that the cardiac rehabilitation should bring you to such a level of exhaustion. And the program that you follow should be one adjusted to YOUR particular situation.

Things that helped me were: to get well hydrated and to eat some carbohydrates before each exercise session.

Jesus
Probably your introduction to beta blockers, they did the same with me. You will adjust.
It is the beta blocker. Trust me on this. I exercise to get my energy level up, but I still have to push myself.  There are times I feel as though I could fall asleep driving. I have to turn the music up and talk to myself. It's awful, but the benefits far out weigh the draw backs.  Take care, Ally

How long the workout session was?
How well physically fitted are you?

Jesus
"I was being monitored and my heart beat and blood pressure were normal"

I am jealous of rehab facilities in Spain, because in the UK there is no such equipment for continuous EKG readings. There are about 20 patients on average in a hall, where they go through exercise routines wearing a heart monitor on the wrist. Blood pressure is taken before exercising and after a cool down at the end. There is a cardiac nurse on hand, but that's it. I guess they assume an EKG will be normal if the patient has been referred to rehab by the Cardiologist. Not a perfect scenario by a long way.
Sorry ED, I did not intend to cause jealousy,

I only know the one that I was in, in a large public hospital in Madrid. It is quit small, they only can accommodate about 10 people on each turn. 4 turns every day. Only with thread mills and static bicycles.

But the good thing is that there is a cardiologist in the Cardiac Rehabilitation unit, and that for the 8 to 10 weeks that the program last, he/she is your cardiologist, he fix your medication, order your Blood tests and echos, perform the EKG and stress test, call for consultation for other specialists (mainly for diabetes and nutrition problems).. and you have free access to him, 4 days per week... for any doubt, question or problem that you may have, and those are solved on the spot. This is a great way to take away all the fears that you have after the heart attack.

Of course, no one goes on workout if the cardiologist is not there and the defibrillator is not ready. For the first 2 weeks of workout, I was wired and the EKG signal is wireless transmitted to the screens where they monitor it. They have also 2 nurses and 2 physiologist assistants to help with the workout and monitoring.

They also run weekly speeches where we attended, with our partners, and teach us, relaxation techniques, changes in live style and we share together our experience on how we are coping with the new situation.

As I said, I do not know how it will be in other Spanish installations.

Jesus
Sounds fantastic, I wish my rehab was in such a centre.
Thanks for the feedback.  I have stopped the cardio rehab for a short time to get some other issues checked out.  It is amazing how after a heart attack your whole body/mind feels different.  I think the BB are the culprit.  I feel very tired after any exercise but am now reducing the time and reducing to lower levels of effort.  I plan to build up more gradually.  

The rehab center here in Virginia continuously monitors you while you exercise.  They take your blood pressure before, after and during your workout.  They basically have you do your routine on your own but are constantly talking to you and offering advise.  The facility is right next door to a hospital if any emergency arises.  They have plenty of sessions for learning to deal with your new health condition.  I am eager to restart.